Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

V6 auto to v8 manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro ttop
Engine: 2.8l v6
V6 auto to v8 manual swap

Ok guys I have an 86 camaro that I swapped a carburated 350 into and am doing a t5 swap do I need to do anything specifically special besides the obvious pedal swap console shifter swap and the transmission itself I have the full hydraulic clutch setup just need to know about wiring or computer issues can I just remove the computer completely since everything is mechanical except the hei distributor in very new to this but have everything to do the build as far as I know thanks in advance
Old 08-05-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 firebird 86 c10 90 mustang
Engine: 383 sbc
Transmission: 97 t56
Axle/Gears: Moser 12 bolt 3.73
Re: V6 auto to v8 manual swap

I pulled the computer out of mine. I'd recommend pulling the fuel pump out of the tank and running a mechanical pump. All the gauges don't need the computer so you won't know it's gone.
Old 08-05-2017, 07:52 AM
Supreme Member

Received 673 Likes on 480 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: V6 auto to v8 manual swap

Originally Posted by thirdgenttop
........ can I just remove the computer completely since everything is mechanical except the hei distributor..... ​

HEI stands for "High Energy Ignition" and there are two variants as far as spark control ; The earlier distributor , pre computer days , is totally self contained and has a vacuum advance that needs to be connected to an engine source of vacuum . The later distributor , used with the computer and factory installed on ALL third gen F bodies 1982 to 1992 , has no vacuum advance and instead is controlled electronically . If you still have the electronically controlled distributor you have to change it for one that has the vacuum advance can on the side like all the older distributors had . Thing is , without the rest of the system the computer is "running blind" anyway , and is not controlling much of anything anymore . Since you have a non electronically controlled carb , and will hopefully have a non electronically controlled distributor , the only other real concern would have been the lockup torque converter , which your eliminating by doing the T5 manual swap .

Bottom line = make sure you have a vacuum advance distributor and yes , if you'd like to eliminate the ECM I see no good reason to keep it at this point ....