Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

removing transmission

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2017, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing transmission

Okay. I am getting ready to work on my transmission finally. I have a tranny jack but my concern is getting it out from underneath the car, once everything is disconnected and supported. I have never done this before yet.. I don't have a garage (workshop) or access to one so it'll be done on my driveway. any advice on how to get my car off the ground and supported high enough so that the transmission can be slid (with jack of course) out from underneath? or if theres a topic already about this. any link to that message would be great too. thanks!
Old 09-10-2017, 12:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: removing transmission

Purchase/make some driveup ramps that will get the front end up a foot or so and then just use a jack to jack the rear up and put jack stands under the axle tubes. Most jack stands will do at least 18".
Old 09-10-2017, 12:43 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 89 Camaro
Engine: 383-Holley Terminator EFI
Transmission: 700R4 Pro-Built Street/Strip kit
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3.55:1

You'll have to lift that car up a LOT to get the trans out while it's on the trans jack. I had to slide the trans on and off the jack after I got both of them under the car. After several trans building mistakes I got pretty good at it, but it's certainly easier if you have someone on the other side of the car to help with the weight of the transmission.
Something else I didn't think of at first is that I needed a fifth jack stand to hold the engine up. It leans back a lot and puts your distributor into the firewall. You should at least remove the distributor cap so that it doesn't crack under the weight of the back of the engine pushing it into the firewall. You'll also have to jack the car up sequentially (a little at the front, then a little at the back repetitively) just to get it as high as you can. You can't jack the front up high enough in one try because the back will be so low you won't get a jack underneath it easily, if at all.
Old 09-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am, 92 Firebird
Engine: 408 sbc, 3.1L of raw power
Transmission: TKO600, T5
Axle/Gears: Moser 9", 3:70 trutac, 3:23 torsion

Harbor freight sells a good engine support that sits across the strut towers and hold the engine while you replace the trans or subfames. Worth the money