Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

New carrier, used gears backlash problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2017, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New carrier, used gears backlash problems

Im working on an 8.5 10 bolt rear. While attempting to change axle bearings I discovered a very botched repair job at cutting out a broken lock shaft bolt. I decided to throw in another carrier I have laying around. After removing the ring gear and re-installing and replacing the carrier bearings with new ones. I discovered that while using the original shims the back lash with this new carrier is WAY off like .150+ . The original carrier used nearly equal .240ish carrier shims and felt very nice and tight overall. I did not measure backlash but it felt very nice and within spec in my experience.

I ordered a Yukon carrier shim kit and now have .386" on the ring gear side and .100" on the passenger side and STILL have .050" backlash. I have not touched the pinion at all. I feel like this is already excessive "lop-sidedness" and do not understand how it can be so far out of whack with only a carrier and bearing change.

Should I try another carrier or reset the pinion depth?
Old 10-14-2017, 05:08 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,666 Likes on 1,264 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: New carrier, used gears backlash problems

Sounds like this 82-92 Camaro/Firebird with the rare (1 of 0) nonobtanium 8½" 10-bolt you have, you are putting in a 2 series whereas you took out a 3 series, or vice versa; and/or one of the carrier bearings isn't pressed on all the way.

If you didn't disturb the pinion depth, it hasn't changed; and if it was right before you disturbed your 82-92 Camaro/Firebird 8½" 10-bolt carrier, it's still right. Leave it alone.

This is a forum devoted specifically to 82-92 Camaro/Firebird, not a general auto mechanic Q&A.
Old 10-14-2017, 05:28 PM

I have been a member since 2006 at least. I lost access to my email associated with the account. The car is not an F-body but is a TBI D-Body. I use this forum nearly exclusively for TBI information as it is one of the best.

Alas, I believe you answered my question. I totally forgot there was different series carriers, as I have been mostly working of aftermarket posi rear-ends. Thank you!
Old 10-14-2017, 08:32 PM
Supreme Member

You removed a 3 series differential and installed a 2 series differential. You need to find another 3 series and try again.