Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Automatic to Manual Swap on 88 Camaro?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 88 Camaro
Automatic to Manual Swap on 88 Camaro?

I want to replace my automatic with a manual, I would have gotten a manual in the first place but i couldn't because this was my moms first car 29 years ago, just last year i got the VIN from some old insurance papers from the 80’s. Typed the VIN into CarFax and found out that it was in Leslie, MI. That weekend we went to a bar, asked around and the people in the bar found the guy that had my moms car on Facebook and messaged him. We ended up overpaying the week later once we got in contact with the guy, but my mom got an auto and also its not an IROC, which if I was picking one out today it would be manual and IROC, but its special to my mom. Anyway, I know I would have to get new interior pieces, and maybe a driveshaft but I couldn't find a lot on switching from auto to manual online.

Thanks, Ethan
Old 11-29-2017, 12:09 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: Automatic to Manual Swap on 88 Camaro?

https://www.thirdgen.org/manualswap/

Or check out the sticky thread at the top of this subforum that says "My T56 Swap Thread"

Have to be a few hundred threads on this exact topic. But for the short answers... There are only a few transmissions that will bolt right in, because of the torque arm that bolts to the tailshaft of the transmission. Assuming you're running a V8, you need a V8 transmission from a Camaro or Firebird from 83-97. 83-92 the standard 5spd is the T5. Before about 1988 would be considered Non-World Class or NWC for short. 88-92 would be World Class, not much difference, because in general even the WC T5 is kind of weak. Not to mention they didn't make a lot of them to begin with, so they're not terribly easy to find. 93-97 V8 6spd can be made to work, review the T56 thread for ideas.

Assuming you're dealing with a TBI 305, chances are pretty good that the wiring for the 5spd neutral safety switch is in the car already. Still you'd have to find a V8 manual trans, cut the holes, change the pedals, probably change the computer chip, and so on. Driveshaft and interior parts are really the least of your worries.