Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

Some extra question if I decide to keep the auto 700r4 in this iroc

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2018, 07:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some extra question if I decide to keep the auto 700r4 in this iroc

The fella put in the auto and sold it to me but explain it will only be 3speed due to the computer setup not correct for 4th gear that has 2 wires in the engine compartment he said that you ground one wire and run the + wire through a relay and into a toggle switch that u press if you want O.D 4TH GEAR .
And when you hit brakes it disengages 4th gear . The car wasn't a Auto car which is why I have all the 5 speed stuff to install providing I have time . I just wanted to know what do I need to do to make the auto trans legit to run .
Old 06-23-2018, 09:32 PM
Supreme Member

Received 511 Likes on 428 Posts
Car: 84 TA orig. 305 LG4 "H" E4ME
Engine: 334 SBC - stroked 305 M4ME Q-Jet
Transmission: upgraded 700R4 3200 stall
Axle/Gears: 10bolt 4.10 Posi w Lakewood TA Bars
Re: Some extra question if I decide to keep the auto 700r4 in this iroc

What you wrote does not make sense.
I am going to assume an overdrive transmission was installed, 4 actual gears - 1, 2 & 3 with the 4th being overdrive. All those gears are controlled by the shifter's position.
The only thing you can wire to a switch would be the torque converter's lockup function. But who knows if this fella's wiring is correct. If the wiring is correct, then stepping on the brake would disengage the lockup. Being an original manual transmission car, your ECM is not set up for the auto transmission and a lockup TC, so the "computer" could not perform this function for you. However, there are kits available to make it happen, separately from the ECM. Do a search for "torque converter lockup".
Old 06-23-2018, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Some extra question if I decide to keep the auto 700r4 in this iroc

For starters I'm new to the 3rd gen Camaro install and outs.
i just bought the car and relaying what I was informed by the owner and his half as* install. So the car runs drives it drive fine but he told me it would be 3 speed unless the two wires were hooked up according to his diagram that made no sense to me . So i came here to ask about it. Don't assume I'm not making sense I'm just asking and trying to explain what I see as a very unorthodox situation with this cars tranny and what I was told.
I have no found out that a 700r4 does not need a computer at all to function correctly lockup wiring is not critical it only reduces about 200rpm on Highway speeds .But the TV cable is critical
I was just asking to make sure what's what. I would like to use the auto trans for the time being providing it's legit to use in a original t50 manual camaro . I have the entire t50 trans and pedal assembly and all the parts if I want to use it. Which I think I do would be alot more fun to drive .

That's also why I asked about am I missing anything as far as the photos posted with the parts showing the pedal assembly. It's very possible a few parts may be missing before I get into tearing out the auto trans and find I'm missing something as simple as a cotter pin or a bolt.