V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

yo yo yo...wat up!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yo yo yo...wat up!!!

Okay, now I've got your attention.

How do I modify my cold start valve so that my car starts up instantly?

During the winter months, my car starts up right-away (do to the cold start valve)!!! Just turn the key and BOOM......the sweet sound of the flowmaster.

But during the summer months, the engine keeps cranking, keeps cranking, keeps cranking,.........until I give it gas. Even when I let the fuel pressure build (by turning the key the on position before starting) it still keeps cranking, keeps cranking, keeps cranking...

Even if I don't give it gas, the car will (eventually) start. But then it will barely idle (idle below 700 rpm).

Why is that?

Otherwise the car runs awesome.

Akshay
1989 2.8 5-spd
Old 09-05-2002, 01:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You don't want to touch the injector, you want to put something like a 20k ohm or higher resistor in the connector that goes to the square shaped sensor in the front of your intake manifold.
Old 09-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
I would honestly try to fix the real problem, instead of doing some kind of hack job to force the cold start injector to come on. I wonder if rezinn has a solution (although I don't agree with putting a resistor in the sensor); maybe your CTS (coolant temp sensor) is bad.

It could just be you have a clogged injector or two...
Old 09-05-2002, 03:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by TomP
I would honestly try to fix the real problem, instead of doing some kind of hack job to force the cold start injector to come on. I wonder if rezinn has a solution (although I don't agree with putting a resistor in the sensor); maybe your CTS (coolant temp sensor) is bad.

It could just be you have a clogged injector or two...
But, everytime it's cold outside, the car starts up immediately.
Only in hot weather it takes awhile for the car to start.

So the injector probably gets clogged during Summer? Humm, wonder why? Will fuel injector cleaners do? I'll check the CTS as well.

Thanks

Akshay
Old 09-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
It was just a guess; but the guess was that your injector is always clogged. In the cold, your CSI adds extra fuel, and your car starts. In the warm, the CSI isn't there to add extra fuel.

You could always unhook the CSI connector when it's cold out and see what happens...