V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2002, 09:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ENGINE WASHED lot's of ????????

ok so i gave my brother my key's saturday
(i know i know)
so to thanks me he took the car into the wash sunday before returning it to me my only problem with this was that he had them clean the engine!!!!!!!!!!

so by the time he got the car to me
(5 min. away from the wash 25 min or so after they finished)

there was still steam comming out from under the hood
the temp gage was in the red
when i popped the hood Hell it looked great but there was a strong hissing sound coming from right under the air intake.....

now me knowing all that i know about cars (NOTHING) just parked the ****er and walked away i look out the window about 20 or so later and there was still a small amount of stem coming out from under there some where

ok so when i get home tonight what should i look for?????????

Last edited by confucius101; 10-07-2002 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-07-2002, 09:31 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23
check the heater hose coming off the base manifold & the tb collant hoses. also check the mtal pipes for cacks. just follow the steam.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Well, temp gauge in the red, only a few things can cause overheating. One, a thermostat that's stuck closed. No coolant can get to the radiator (and fan) to cool down, it's "locked inside the engine", and it just keeps getting hotter & hotter & hotter and POOF! Which can directly lead to the second possibility, a blown head gasket. Pull the dipstick, make sure you've just got oil on the stick, and not the "chocolate milk froth" of an antifreeze/coolant mix. Also, remove the radiator cap when the car cools down, and look for oil in the coolant. These are the common signs of a blown head gasket.

Another possibility is that you're running so low on coolant that the motor overheated instantly.

Another way is to be missing the driveway-scraping air dam from underneath the car. This is what directs airflow over the radiator to cool the radiator. So you could be stuck in traffic, not moving, the temp will rise to 230, the fan kicks on to bring it back to 195. But as soon as you start driving, the temp should never get to 230 if the air dam is there. But still. If it's missing while you drive, the radiator gets hotter and hotter- BUT, the fan should kick on at 230 degrees. For this to be the cause of your overheating, your air dam would have to be missing, AND the fan would have to be dead.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:35 PM

ok but the car was fine untill he has the engine washed out.

i'm just trying to figure out what they could have hit with the jet hose and knocked loose

Last edited by confucius101; 10-08-2002 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:41 PM

well im guessing its a tbi since its a 2.8l. maybe the people that washed the car had gotten some water into the throttle body/intake. but what do i know.
Old 10-08-2002, 05:42 PM

ok but i have the 3.1
Old 10-08-2002, 08:52 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Chevy Camaro Hardtop
Engine: Turbocharged/Intercooled 3.1
Transmission: World Class T5 5 Speed
That's Fuel Injected, right? - and to add to TomP's assessment -

Did they wash the engine, with it still hot? If so, I'm thinking cracked/warped heads, or perhaps blown freeze plugs (do these V6's have them??)

Either way, my money is on a blown head, or a blown radiator. NEVER put water on a hot engine!!

Just follow the steam, to wherever it's coming out. I'd also check the oil, for S&G - they may have gotten water inside the intake, and into the engine. Hydrolock is BAD.