V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Heater Core w/AC Part Numbers and Pre-Formed Hose part numbers

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2003, 07:35 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Heater Core w/AC Part Numbers and Pre-Formed Hose part numbers

Recently I asked about replacing the heater core mission on our F bodies.
Today I start the uphill battle .

Thought I'd pass along the part numbers I'm using to help others call around for a better pricing.
My specs are NEW PARTS and I have a car with AC.
I understand the heater core without AC MAY be different number. Can't help ya there.

I got my new heater core from Pep Boys
Ready Aire made by GoDan Industries
Number 39 9083

Other store numbers are
NAPA 3284
4 SEASONS 94606
EVERCO 6111
STANT 90830
MURRAY 279152
These numbers offered on outside of my core box from Pep Boys.

Hoses

ONLY USE PRE-FORMED! One cannot make the bends & expect any water to pass thru kinked hoses.

I got these numbers from GM Dealer (specifically Rydel in Van Nuys,CA)

I eventually puchased my hoses from an AC Delco dealer due to LOWER COST (super nice guy works there & helps me out).
These are AC DELCO Part numbers
14122S
14175S

ON THE HOSE TAG are these other numbers (why not?)
GM# 88907123
GM# 88907172

Hope your heater core replacement mission is joyful, as mine will be, too.

I ALSO take my new core to a radiator shop & have it pressure tested to check for any leaks. Usually done for free. I've had new cores that were weak in a tube weld. Not gonna find out during my mission, ya find out before!!!!!

Oh, core size is 7" x 7" x 2".
I paid $28.80 for new core, $14 for BOTH pre-formed hoses. No including sales tax.

Of course we are enjoying a beautiful almost 100* weather in LA lately, just in time for the heater core to go out! Hey, that'll help dry out carpeting, right?

I also get to replace the heater core on my S-10 Blazer, too, oh joy! Second time in 10 years on that ride...... Then there is the new core (second time since 1984!) I get to install in my 1967 Camaro RS/SS350 4-Speed convert.....You don't want to know about a heater core replacement on a 1974 Corvette believe me! Did that back in 1996!
Luckily my motorcycles usually don't require a heater core job!

After this mssion is done, I am one step closer to going to Phoenix to have my 1985 Firebird car used for making our F Body 3rd Gen V6 Street Legal Headers from PaceSetter.
Send a kind quick email to Mr. Fred Gerle at PaceSetter expressing interest/for purchasing in this product!
fgerle@pacesetterexhaust.com
Have a Grateful Day!
Old 10-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird Formula
Engine: Internal Combustion
Transmission: Completed
Axle/Gears: ones that turn.
This might help you along http://www.hioutput.com/tech/heatercore.html
It's for a non-AC F-body, but it should be similar for one with AC.
Good luck!

Pete
Old 10-24-2003, 05:17 PM
Supreme Member

I finished most of my Phase One of this mission.
I removed old hoses (WHICH TOOK FOREVER DUE TO POS Previous Owner Syndrome), installed new hoses & turned the curves to each other.
Inserted a brass tube used for patching a lawn hose, the hose does not leak at all! NO more leaks inside car either.
Yes, I bypassed the blown out heater core.
BUT at 100* for a few days, the carpet dries real fast!
STUPID ME ALSO removed the ground wire set up for the fan blower motor.
Damn it's hot inside car & I have a working AC system yet now no fan until tomorrow AM when the engine bay cools down to reattach that blower motor ground. Dumb Dumb Dumb.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:35 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1991 CAMARO 1968 FIREBIRD
Engine: CAMARO 3.1L FIREBIRD 455
Transmission: CAMARO 700R4 FIREBIRD TH-400
When i got my heatercore from pepboysthey gave me the wrong one. I found that out when i had everything apart. BTW you know rydell's parts counter closes at midnight m-f and they are open sat and sunday as well
Old 10-24-2003, 07:44 PM
Supreme Member

BTW you know rydell's parts counter closes at midnight m-f and they are open sat and sunday as well.
Rydell wanted $10.50 per hose!

I'll find out about the core I received from Pep Boys as I can now remove mine without Firebird being stranded.

Still no functioning brake lights in the Corvette, that car I'm not driving at all right now.
Every car needs work, one project at a time.
I still need finish off a few small projects at the "In Escrow" house, too.
Fast RS stop by my Van Nuys place soon.
Won't be mine for much longer!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:29 PM

Help!

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but now looks like my heater core is going out. Been smelling coolant the past couple days, checked around by where the dash meets the center console, and low and behold there the coolant.

My question is, KED those 2 hoses you refer to, are they the question mark shaped hoses that go from the lines in the engine bay up to the firewall? Or are there hoses inside the dash that need to be replaced too along with the heater core?

Thanks!
Old 11-14-2003, 04:18 PM

Well, after doing some more research I might be able to stave off a heater core replacement surgery. I had replaced all my heater hoses this summer, and in this cold winter weather I could tell some of them weren't tightened enough and were leaking a bit. So looked like the area around one of the hoses at the firewall was a little moist, so I tightened that down. It was the innermost hose from the fender (I'm guessing thats the inlet). When I searched it seemed like a few people had coolant leaking inside that was a result of loose hoses, so hopefully that was my problem. After reading up on these heater core replacement stories, it'd be nice to not have to deal with taht right now!
Old 11-14-2003, 05:21 PM
Supreme Member

2 hoses you refer to, are they the question mark shaped hoses thatgo from the lines in the engine bay up to the firewall?
YES!

Or are there hoses inside the dash that need to be replaced too along with the heater core?
NOW THIS PART IS A TOTAL MYSTERY TO ME!

FYI

ANYONE ELSE ever screw up the HVAC vacuum line from engine bay into the passenger compartment? The vacuum line that goes from the engine bay into/to the HVAC assembly that controls the "doors" for vent top/bottom/defroster, etc.....

I have screwed up mine & I "know" how to fix it but I won't be doing it for a short bit.
I need attend to others stuff before I commit myself to "long on my back heater" core surgery

Sorry my response wasn't quick enough for ya to help.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:01 AM

Hey no problem, thanks a bunch for the help.

Actually been 2 days, and looks like there's still a little bit of leaking around the bottom of the dash/console area even after tightening the inlet/outlet hoses, so unfortunately it does look like the heater core is about to bite the dust.
Old 11-17-2003, 10:33 AM
Supreme Member

Sounds like you'll be using those supplied numbers!
I stil havent' swapped out my core yet. TOO BUSY!
First real night I needed it was the cold 50* outside at 60-80 MPH at night!
This weeek will be warmer so no real urgency. Even with new hoses I still need to retighten the new installed stuff. I await some free time for this project.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
You could do what i did, too... just dump those stupid question-mark pre-formed hoses, throw out the metal pipes that run along the passenger side main frame rail, and run straight heater hose between the front of the motor and heater core. Much cleaner. And much easier to change! You'll need to buy one 5/8th hose and one 3/4 hose.
Old 11-18-2003, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
In fact you can see my fake-stainless-braid-covered hoses in these pictures of my coil...
Attached Thumbnails Heater Core w/AC Part Numbers and Pre-Formed Hose part numbers-tomp-coil-all-views.jpg  
Old 12-01-2003, 07:26 AM
Supreme Member

I'm about to start on this mission I hope on Tuesday.
What's really great FROM PARTS STORE OR GROCERY STORE that CLEANS CARPET by a scrub brush & vacuum cleaner to remove stuff?
I might as well give it a good elbow grease effort to save just a dirty carpet that is in great shape no holes....