V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Now what?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Now what?

Okay, something took a BIG dump in the 2.8 and its time to pull the oil pan. I finally am going to get a GOOD jack and get the car in the air. Now, the problem is that something BROKE when running the engine after a perfect valve adjustment (at least 130 PSI on all cyls except 6.. probably needs valve seals because you could hear the air leaking past something while running the compression test, and the gauge was in ALL the way, plus the head bolts were double checked at 70 ft lbs torque), and now I have no idea what cylinders are supposed to be in what strokes. The engine timing mark is around 6* BTDC and I know both the #1 and #4 should be at or near TDC, right? Now, #2 and 3 are down, and so are #5 and 6, is this right or do I need to obtain a set of piston/connecting rods and possibly a crank?

There are no holes/cracks/marks/etc. in the lower end of the block or oil pan, there are no markings or indications of damage at the piston crowns, but the part that bothers me is that the #4 piston is sticking out of the bore about 1/8". Plus, the crank ain't moving at all, whether by hand or with the starter.

I've got a line on a "new" 2.8 if that is what it needs, however, I would like to believe it can possibly be fixed for little cost (or a lot depending on parts), but that it can be fixed period...

I can get pics if anyone has any need for them.. Just have to resize them.
Old 05-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41
Okay, long story short:

Anyone know where I can get a complete 3.4 short block (timing cover and oil pan, no heads, but cam installed) in WNY or anywhere for that matter?