V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

problems..problems..can you help?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6 soon to be gone
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic soon to be a T56
problems..problems..can you help?

So I've been through hell and back with my car lately. Heres everything that happened:

I was driving it and I punched it and right around 5000 rpms it lost all power for a split second and then kept going like normal. As if it got no fuel and then all of a sudden did before it could stall. A few days later, it started acting funny and slowing down. I would have to push the gas only a little bit to keep it going at around 50. If i pushed any harder, it would just stall out. Now this was intermittent. A few days later, it did the same thing, but now i was lucky to keep it 1t 15-20 mph. I barely got home. Next day I tried turning it on and it would fire up great, but then just die. Over and over. Every once in awhile it would idle for a little while, but mostly couldn't keep it running. And when it did stay running, the second I hit the gas, it stalled. I had it towed to my mechanic and they determined it had a few faulty injectors.

So I replaced all 6 injectors because i figured, I might as well. But the moron never pulled the plugs while changing the injectors, so upon driving it home it started running terribly. I pulled the plugs and they were all soaked with gas. I changed them and now the car runs ok. About 90% normal. Now my problem is, it bogs down alot when starting to go from a stop, as if my o2 was leaning out the fuel. Also, idle is a bit rough, but stays running every time. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the air filter. Oil is new. The cap and rotor havent been changed in awhile, but plugs and wires are brand new.

I had this problem once before because, after i put my headers in and took out the smog pump, my 1 wire o2 was leaning out my car. I went to a 3 wire and all my problems went away. It feels just the same now, yet I have the same o2 sensor, so whats going on? The exhaust was very black when it was starting and stalling. Maybe it killed my o2 sensor? Does it just need a tune up? Also, one of my fuel lines looks a little crimped i guess you could say. Nothing major, I think fuel can get through it just about fine, but could it be causing my problem?

Also, something to note.. when I open my gas cap, ALOT of pressure is released. All mechanics are surprised at this but never have anything to say about it. Could it be related?
I get no codes as of yet by the way.

Please help me.
Old 08-25-2008, 02:19 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1
Transmission: 700r4
Re: problems..problems..can you help?

i used to have that pressure release but since my problem started (see 3.1 v6 strange problem) i don't have that presure release check to see if yours still has pressure it sounds very similar to how my problem started and if you notice the car starting to get a very high idle at start up you have the same problem as me
Old 08-25-2008, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Run the car inthe dark with the hood up, look for spark leaking out the coil.

Might be time for a tune up, these cars like fresh ign parts.

Gas tank is suppose to do that, its not a vented system.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:17 AM

Car: 1990 Pontiac Firebird
Engine: 3.1 V6 soon to be gone
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic soon to be a T56

Originally Posted by Gumby
Run the car inthe dark with the hood up, look for spark leaking out the coil.

Might be time for a tune up, these cars like fresh ign parts.

Gas tank is suppose to do that, its not a vented system.
Will do that tonight. And thanks for letting me know about the gas tank.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:37 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 13 Ram 1500/ 78 Formy
Engine: 5.7 / 7.4
Transmission: 6sp / TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.55 posi / 3.23

check the tps, I had carbon shooting out the back of my exhaust when I was dealing w/post fire isuues when I had the bird.