V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Down and Out!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro
Engine: 3.4 Liter
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: stock
Down and Out!

For the past 3 or so weeks I've been noticing that my car was losing power here and there. I adjusted the timing and it ran fine for about a week. Well last night when I got off work I was driving home and the car backfired 2 times then had no gitty up at all. As I drove on to my dads house (which was closer) when I started to notice the smell of fuel coming from the engine compartment.

Once I got there I found me a flashlight and popped the hood, there was fuel all over the intake manifold. Not exactly sure where its coming from but tomorrow I will take the upper plenum off and see what the deal is. Crazy that once you fix 1 thing something else happens. The car was running fine until I had to swap out my oilpan.

The wife swears that the car gets mad when I'm not working on it b/c everytime I say I'm leaving it alone something happens. LOL
Old 12-19-2008, 11:28 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 91 Camaro
Engine: 3.1/3100 in progress...Turbo Soon
Transmission: 700r4
Re: Down and Out!

I know the feeling. I had the same problem before I took the engine out...although my problems were always linked to sensors. So I'm making sure to change everything to hopefully eliminate that from happening again.

Hopefully its an easy fix.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:58 AM

Man $25 bucks for some rubber O rings from the dealership but better to be safe than sorry. I should have changed them darn things when I put the engine in there in the first place. Live and learn I guess!
Old 12-19-2008, 05:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

$25 for injector o-rings? Man, you got screwed on that deal! I can get o-rings to replace all of the seals on the rail for THAT price! Should've gone to Advance or AutoZone or somewhere and picked up a set of GP Sorenson o-rings ($9). You get enough to do both ends of the injectors PLUS four extra rings (kit is for TPI V8s), and you can get an $8 set of fuel line rings at the same time...
Old 12-19-2008, 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Maverick H1L
$25 for injector o-rings? Man, you got screwed on that deal! I can get o-rings to replace all of the seals on the rail for THAT price! Should've gone to Advance or AutoZone or somewhere and picked up a set of GP Sorenson o-rings ($9). You get enough to do both ends of the injectors PLUS four extra rings (kit is for TPI V8s), and you can get an $8 set of fuel line rings at the same time...
Good thing I didn't buy them yet!! The dealership was closed when I got off so I was going to get them tomorrow morning. I will go in there and ask for exactly what you said in the morning.

Thanks for the heads up!!!!!
Old 12-22-2008, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by grimmcs
I know the feeling. I had the same problem before I took the engine out...although my problems were always linked to sensors. So I'm making sure to change everything to hopefully eliminate that from happening again.

Hopefully its an easy fix.

Whatever came of your issues? I changed out all the o rings and the plenum gaskets and still the same thing minus the leaking fuel. I'm lost right now.