V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Mechanical Guages

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mechanical Guages

Where is the recommended place to run the plumbing lines for installing mechanical oil and temperature guages on a 92 3.1l engine?

I know the electrical guage for oil is by the oil filter--is this the best place to plumb in the mechanical temp guage?

Where is the water temp reading taken at?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: 2.8 V6
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Mechanical Guages

Water temp would replace your factory idiot light switch in the front outer corner of the driver's side head (behind the a/c bracket). Depending on the gauge you have you might need an adapter. I had to use one (temperature probe was much smaller than the hole in the head), but the salesperson at Summit Racing knew exactly which one I needed. Give them a call, phone # at www.summitracing.com .

For oil pressure you've got a combo-switch in that 92 3.1; it runs the fuel pump AND provides the oil pressure light. All you need is to install a t-fitting. That way the original switch still works and you can plumb in the mechanical oil pressure gauge too.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:24 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 2003 Hyundai Tiburon GT
Engine: 2.7L V6
Transmission: 6-speed
Axle/Gears: 4.41

Originally Posted by TomP
For oil pressure you've got a combo-switch in that 92 3.1; it runs the fuel pump AND provides the oil pressure light. All you need is to install a t-fitting. That way the original switch still works and you can plumb in the mechanical oil pressure gauge too.
There is a pressure tap right above the combo unit (2.8s have another oil pressure unit here for the fuel pump), or you could just get an electric gauge and the proper gauge sender. The pressure tap plug has a 1/4" square drive hole in it, use a standard 1/4" ratchet and extension without a socket on the end to remove.

But don't most 92s have the full gauge cluster? Do you think your factory gauges are inaccurate?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't trust the factory electronic gushed. For oil pressure I prefer mechanical guages.