V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

new to third gen. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new to third gen. HELP

Ok I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place but I need help. I just got a 92 rs, v6, 5 speed. The car is skipping. I've replaced the plugs and plug wires, dis cap and button. The coil looks brand new. I don't know where to go from here. The check eng. Light is not on so I don't even know if it is showing any codes. The exhaust smells very rich so is it possible the injectors are bad? Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:24 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Manual T5
Axle/Gears: Stock
Re: new to third gen. HELP

Originally Posted by bsa1986
Ok I don't know if I'm posting this in the right place but I need help. I just got a 92 rs, v6, 5 speed. The car is skipping. I've replaced the plugs and plug wires, dis cap and button. The coil looks brand new. I don't know where to go from here. The check eng. Light is not on so I don't even know if it is showing any codes. The exhaust smells very rich so is it possible the injectors are bad? Thanks in advance.
What do you mean by skipping? Does it sputter when you give it more throttle? Does is have a smooth idle? Also what is the history of the car? How many miles? Did the previous owner (PO) tell you anything he has replaced on the vehicle?

The first place I would start is the fuel pressure. Attach the fuel gauge and try starting the engine for the few minutes. The fuel pressure should be between 37 - 47 PSI. Also, this pressure should hold for at least 20 minutes after you turn off the engine. If you can't get close to the right fuel pressure or the pressure won't hold, it could be a bad fuel pump, Fuel Pressure Regulator, or bad injectors.

If you have the original Multech injectors (lousy product), it is likely that one of more are bad. I had both a bad FPR and injector. If you have one bad injector, replace all of them.

You should also take out your spark plugs one a time & check the color of each. If they are black, then the fuel mixture is rich. If they are very light colored, that is an indication of too lean fuel. A nice light toast brown indicates balanced fuel mixture.

Checking the fuel pressure and plugs will suggest what to check next. Post the results and one of us can suggest next steps.

BTW, mine sputters for a second often when I press on the throttle. I'm also getting a code 24 (already replaced IAC). So, I'm taking apart and cleaning the throttle body this weekend, hoping to resolve the problem.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:20 PM

Thanks for the help. It ended up being the ignition module. I also replaced the injectors, checked the fuel pressure and fixed an exhaust leak. After installing the new ignition module, it started right away but the idle was very low and its still running very rich with white smoke coming from the exhaust. Still no engine codes. Also, apparently when I removed the fuel rail some fuel leaked out of the line. The oil was thin and smelled like pure gas. I changed it before I ran it. I drove it around the block yesterday and it ran great but still had white smoke and smelled like fuel.I don't know what to check next except maybe the o2 sensor but its seized and I have to get it to a torch to put some heat to it. Other than that the only other issue I have is this fluid filled trans mount. I just can't see spending 200 bucks so I'm going to get a automatic cross member and put a auto mount on it. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 11:22 PM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: Manual T5
Axle/Gears: Stock

A bad ICM can cause all kinds of screwy problems. And, they can go out anytime. The last time mine went out, the car just quit. Fortunately, it was in front of my house. I always carry a spare in the car, in case it goes out when I'm on the Interstate miles from anywhere.

I used an impact wrench & a deep well socket to get my O2 sensor off. Just cut the wire off and hammered for what seemed like 5 minutes with the impact wrench until it finally broke loose.

As for the engine running rich with white exhaust smoke, not sure. Might be a internal engine problem, blown head gasket or cracked head. Does your oil look OK?

This post will move your thread to the top and, hopefully, one of the real experts can offer some suggestions on diagnosing the white smoke/rich fuel mixture issue.