V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Severly Retarded Timing is what my engine runs best on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Severly Retarded Timing is what my engine runs best on?

So like the title says my engine seems to run at its best around 30-40 degrees BTDC, when in reality the optimal ignition timing should be around 10 BTDC. Now I would leave the problem alone, but it bothers me (because its wrong and weird) and also occasionally at a complete stop the engine stalls. In hopes of fixing this problem I replaced the entire distributor unit, My timing chain, cam sprocket and chain guide (which was independently verified that I correctly placed the timing marks, that #1 piston was @ TDC on compression stroke and the rotor was pointing to #1 cylinder). I even tried a new MAF sensor. My father seems to think that by process of elimination the problem could either be: My CPU, Knock sensor or a severe vacuum leak which eludes my discovery. Anyway, mighty Camaro gurus please help me!???

*Fyi my timing light works well..so that is not the problem either!
** 1986 2.8 V6

Last edited by fenderman93; 06-19-2017 at 02:34 PM. Reason: add Car info
Old 06-19-2017, 03:58 PM

Car: 88 T firebird
Engine: 2.8
Transmission: t5
Re: Severly Retarded Timing is what my engine runs best on?

I may be wrong completely, but it seems you are seeing advanced timing not retarded as it is firing early, I'm guna take a stab at this and say you have not disconnected the EST wire ? Before setting the base timing ?
Old 06-19-2017, 07:44 PM

Yea sorry , I guess i got the definitions of advanced and retarded backwards. Yes, I have tried disconnecting the bypass wire even though my manual says to only do that on V8 engines, it makes a small difference but it is not the problem as the timing still needs to be way advanced for my engine to even run with the wire disconnected. I'm going to edit and repost this.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:50 PM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/v6/7...ml#post6146585

^^There the link if you were interested in continuing to help
Old 06-19-2017, 08:29 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73

The bypass wire needs to be disconnected to set timing regardless of number of cylinders. I think you might be misunderstanding what is written.

Anything before TDC is advanced, anything after TDC is retarded.

Now, what cylinder are you using for #1? The front driver side or the front passenger side?

Have you verified that the timing mark on the damper lines up with the #1 cylinder at TDC?
Old 06-20-2017, 12:18 AM

Thanks for your reply! Ok your right maybe i miss read it, I'll go dig out my manual and double check about the bypass wire. Although, either way I tried adjusting the ignition timing with it both disconnected and connected and it didn't really make a difference though it did help very slightly.

Right, i made a mistake and got the two confused. I opened a separate and edited thread and posted the link to it in this thread.

I used the passenger side for number #1, that's the firing order given in the manual. Yes to the other question as well.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 AM

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...ml#post6146650

Here is the link, i'm sorry the last one didn't post for some reason