V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Stumped????? No start

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 89 RSt-top
Engine: 2.8 mpfi
Transmission: auto
Stumped????? No start

Hey guys have an issue like the title says I'm absolutely stumped i have had a no start problem for months now and cannot figure it what is wrong with the car.. first of all my car is a 1989 Camaro RS 2.8 Auto. The car stopped running approximately 9 months ago and has never started since I replace the distributor after it stopped running because the bushings and it were bad and I still have a no start I have tried 3 different icm's two different pick up coils I change the engine wire harness over from my 88 parts car due to the fact I found damage wiring on mine I have done the resistor bypass for the Vats because it was not working right and now is, I have spark and I can smell fuel in the garage when you try and start it so I know it's getting fuel it just will not start and will rarely even fire I have tried dumping fuel down its throat still will not start.. I could use some help I'd love to be able to use my car again.. I have pretty much checked everything and I am at an absolute loss if you need more info to help diagnose please ask thanks in advance
Old 08-22-2017, 07:53 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Re: Stumped????? No start

Punctuation is your friend.
Did you do the VATS bypass before or after it stopped running? How old are the plugs and wires? Are the plugs soaked in gas or fouled out?
You said it will rarely fire, so it is attempting to start, just won't run? Dumping fuel down the intake won't work since it's not being atomized to mix with the air like an injector would do. It's just pooling in the manifold.
Have you checked for any DTCs?
Old 08-22-2017, 08:11 AM

Hi drdave.. ya sorry I'm at work using Google Voice so my punctuation isn't great LOL..
I did the resistor bypass afterwards... I was having problems with the security before it stopped running the car always ran though regardless of the security light was on or not.. I have tried a different set of wires a different cap and rotor. I did not know that about the fuel I will go buy some quick start and try that.. like I said it's extremely weird the car rarely ever fires ( attempts to start ) and when it does you almost have to kill the battery to get it to and then it may only fire once or twice and go back to nothing again and this is rarely ever happens..
No codes only one is 12 to tell me and I'm in diagnostic mode. I have also tried 3 different ecms
Old 08-22-2017, 08:19 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Probably the Multec injectors shorting out...

RBob.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:29 AM

Hi rbob
I did the ohm test on the injectors and they all ohmd out good I know that doesn't mean they are good. But its at least telling me they should be good
Old 08-22-2017, 11:03 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: 1998 Camaro Z28
Engine: 6.0L
Transmission: 4L60E
Axle/Gears: 3.73

Have you tested each cylinder with a spark tester to make sure each one is actually getting good spark? Have you pulled the spark plugs? My guess at this point is each one should be pretty wet, which would indicate each injector is actually delivering fuel.
If the vehicle was starting before you bypassed the VATS, I'd go back to that. No reason to throw other possible issues in the mix. Since it won't start, you have no way to guarantee that you successfully bypassed it.
Also, are you sure you got timing correct when you swapped out the distributor?
Just trying to cover some of the more obvious things first that sometimes get overlooked.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:01 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt

You might want to use a noid light to check for injector pulse. Like rbob mentioned if the body of the injector is grey in color they are known to fail.
You can use the 88 ecm to see if it starts eliminating the vats or it might start in limp home mode if you pull the prom bypassing the ecm looking for a passkey signal.

Last edited by Tuned Performance; 08-22-2017 at 12:16 PM. Reason: More information
Old 08-22-2017, 06:35 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Edited.

Last edited by Shinobi'sZ; 08-22-2017 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Answered
Old 08-23-2017, 08:52 PM

Hey guys getting back to ya..
So i had a free half hour today to play with the car. I stopped and grabbed a can of quick start and not even a fart from the car, i wedged the key in the crank position and sprayed enough into the intake to recreate Hiroshima if she had cought and still nadda.. i tested for spark again with a plug from a v8 and its bright and strong which is weird because it wont even fart... so i pulled a plug and tested on the intake and what do u know no spark, tested the other five and no spark on any of them....... so I replaced them with the ancient plugs from my parts motor and the car started on almost the first turn... I had tested for Spark before and I know I had it what are the odds all six plugs go bad at once. spark plugs are about a year old they only ran in the car for like 3 months.. I know the problem started with the dizzy because there was no bushings left in it and the body was eating through the shaft. I assume I solved the problem at some point when i have been replacing parts but probably fouled all the plugs with raw fuel in the process causing my continued no start... thats my assumption at least..

Last edited by Dutch420; 08-23-2017 at 10:04 PM.