V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

Show me the O2 sensor signal of your 3.1 V engine in idle

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Show me the O2 sensor signal of your 3.1 V engine in idle

Hi,

would like to compare your O2 sensor signal with the signal of my engine in my Firebird from 1990. I am interested in the O2 sensor signal when the engine idles.

Do you have logged data or screenshots which I can see?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Show me the O2 sensor signal of your 3.1 V engine in idle-bird1990.jpg  

Last edited by Pupkin; 09-14-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:03 PM
Supreme Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Car: 88 Sport Coupe Camaro
Engine: V6 2.8
Transmission: Borg-Warner T-5
Axle/Gears: RPO/GU6: 3.42
Re: Show me the O2 sensor signal of your 3.1 V engine in idle

This thread interests me.

Perhaps not so much the specific question put by the OP regarding the O2 sensor, but rather the issue of streaming and logging scan data from our old ALDL ports.

I'd be very interested to know what sort of software and hardware is used to do this. About all I know about codes on third-gen cars is the "paperclip method;" and I have an old System 2000 (of early 2000's vintage) scanner that, I'll admit, I have yet to play with. If my understanding from brief perusal of the manual is correct, I think it only lets you look at one sensor data stream at a time, and only then after pushing lots of buttons to access the data. I'm thinking there must be a much better program and hardware (laptop computer?) for reading and logging data off the ALDL port.

Sorry for the slight thread-hijack. But, it would really help me understand some of the driveability issues, and diagnosis issues, that get discussed here if I felt like I wasn't floundering in old-school ignorance of how to pull data.

Does the program used by the OP record points-dwell, and capacitor voltage?
(just kidding)

Last edited by W.E.G.; 09-14-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Show me the O2 sensor signal of your 3.1 V engine in idle

I built the interface from Peter Gargano and I use EfiLive V4 on an old Toshiba Laptop which RS232 port provides about 9 volts.