V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

help

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help

So my 92 3.1 wont idle if i push the gas it boggs and dies. I replace my hole distributior. I bought the car it hasent been on the road since 2006. Its idleing around 400 rpm. I can drive it if i constantly feather the gas and column shift. Help ive only ever had carburetors this is the first mpfi.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:16 PM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi
Re: help

Did you set and check the timing after replacing the distributor? You need to disconnect the single tan wire connector going along the harness on the firewall before you set base timing. Thats the timing advance wire from the pcm.

edit: Also, did you have this issue before or after replacing the distributor?
Old 11-17-2017, 09:04 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Injector coils are likely shorting out.

RBob.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by mgg4591
Did you set and check the timing after replacing the distributor? You need to disconnect the single tan wire connector going along the harness on the firewall before you set base timing. Thats the timing advance wire from the pcm.

edit: Also, did you have this issue before or after replacing the distributor?

Both and yes i did timing it wont even run at 8-10 before tdc
Old 11-20-2017, 08:06 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

The #1 cylinder is on the passenger side. Unlike many other engines. Can also use #4 which is the center drivers side. Any other cylinder won't trigger the timing light at the correct time.

10° BTDC is the proper setting.

Once the EST/BYPASS connector was closed and the engine restarted, does the timing advance to about 20° BTDC?

RBob.
Old 11-28-2017, 04:11 AM

Car: 1992 Firebird
Engine: 3.1 l V6
Transmission: Automatic

I had a similar issue, except my car would give a code before stalling, claiming to be a MAF/MAP sensor issue.

I also replaced the distributor, including ignition module, and reset the timing, but that only helped a bit.

I found that after fixing a few vacuum leaks, replacing the MAP sensor, replacing the idle air control valve, cleaning the throttle body, and deleting the EVAP cannister, or charcoal cannister if you will, the car behaved normally. I haven't yet replaced the cannister, but I believe it was just a stuck solenoid messing up the air:fuel ratio causing it to stall at idle. All of the other parts made no difference on their own it seemed, but deleting the cannister helped in my case, and it is a free fix to try. Just disconnect the return line from the cannister and plug the vacuum line feeding into it, take for a test drive, and see if that works. If that helps, fix it or properly delete it, there are plenty of threads with instructions.