V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

3400 and boost

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2017, 07:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3400 and boost

so, my swap is using a full 3400 from an 04 buick rondevouz. computer as well will be swapped. using a 3800 4th gen five speed for the correct starter location.

I have a 3500 upper intake for this already, but no throttle body. need to figure out a cable drive solution, as well as spacers/adapters to swap the intake 180 for a front facing throttle body.

my major hurdles, at this point, are headers, clutch, flywheel, and turbo selection. ive been googling my *** off, but still not had much luck past a few general refrences ive found.

1. 2.2 s10 flywheel and clutch. that's what ive found, but doesn't sound like the best solution. lighter would be preferred, as this will be an XP autocross car that does occasional drag strip duty. but, cheaper trumps all else.

2. headers: the 3400 heads are d-port, 3.4 are round port (I think). also, I haven't found turbo rwd manifolds. anyone have pictures/products for this?

3. what size turbo? I'm shooting for 325 rwhp, boost coming in at 3k, but strong. little lag should be beneficial, due to being limited on tire size. but, instant and linear power would be good too. ive found reference to td04e and hx35

4. head and manifold porting: anyone have some good guides on this? I'm fairly competent with porting, but would love some direction before picking up my carbide burr.

also, just as a point of information: this is going into a $2018 GRM challenge car. so budget is primary here. I'm willing to spend about 500-700 on parts for this, and time and tools are essentially unlimited. so new parts, high end, and store bought solutions are probably out of the cards. junkyards, careful selection, and effort will win every time.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Car: 1973 Datsun 240Z/ 1985 S-15 Jimmy
Engine: Turbo LX9/To be decided
Transmission: 5-speed/T-5
Axle/Gears: R200 3.90/7.5" 3.73
Re: 3400 and boost

0. No adapters or spacers needed to rotate the intake 180*, just unbolt it from the heads, rotate 180* and re-install. This gets the thermostat housing to the front as well. Also use the 2.8/3.1/3.4 front cover and belt driven accessories.

1. 3.1/3.4 flywheel should do what you need. This flywheel is thicker than the S10 flywheel (2.8 or 2.2), so you will need to verify that the 4th gen trans needs a thicker flywheel. Also you need a 14mm spacer for the starter to use the RWD flywheel.

2. These will be custom made, no company currently and I suspect ever will offer turbo headers for this particular swap. So grab a welder, some tube and flanges and get to work.
Old 11-23-2017, 05:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 3400 and boost

Is there a way to rotate just the upper? Due to it being a challenge car, id prefer to keep the current accessories, of which only the alternator and water pump will be used.

i was kind of hoping for dome pictures of whats been done so far, as the third gen camaro is the closest i can think of other than the chevette to what im doing. I fully plan to build my own, and depending on the amount of clearance i have, may have to go logs.

the other guy i found using the 2.2 flywheel and clutch with this trans had to do a bit of shimming to the hydraulic throw out bearing to make it all work properly. .300 if i remember correctly. How much thicker is the 3.1 and 2.8 flywheel?