Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Anyone try stuffing C7 GS Vette tires on their car yet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 03:29 PM
Supreme Member

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Car: Building LS3, T56 Z28
Engine: LS3
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: Moser/ 4.11
Anyone try stuffing C7 GS Vette tires on their car yet?

I am thinking of doing this.

I have a minitub already so I think I can house the 335s if I trim the wheel well lip.

Just need to sort out the back spacing and see what spacers I would need. Assuming the backspacing I need is less, not more.

Just throwing it out there.

I also want to run the 285s that the GS has. Would these rub? I would think they do. I saw Detroit Speed use 315s up front with no issues if the fender horn gets trimmed and the inner plastics are not used. Something I would consider doing.

Thoughts?
Old 10-24-2017, 09:41 AM
Supporter/Moderator

Received 375 Likes on 288 Posts
Car: '90 RS
Engine: 377 LSX
Transmission: Magnum T56
Re: Anyone try stuffing C7 GS Vette tires on their car yet?

I am doing exactly this, with a mini tub. On initial mockup the rears (I'm running the C7 GS Cup wheels) will fit with my wolf mini tub. You have to really hack in and then weld in support around the rear spring perch. That's the area of most interference. I haven't mocked up the fronts yet but I am not as concerned. Plenty of guys running large tires up front. The only problem with this wheel choice is tires. You basically have three choices, all of which shouldn't be stored in your garage over the winter. Continental Extreme Sport, Michelin Pilot Sport 2 or Cup.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM
Supreme Member

Location: *member since 1999, I think - just can't remember my old name, and the big site crash...*
Received 151 Likes on 105 Posts
Car: 89 GTA ASC Conv., Prev: 89 GTA 6.3L
Engine: 5.7L L98 TPI
Transmission: 700r4 Automatic
Axle/Gears: 3.27:1 w/ JG1 Options:B2L, N10, U1A

Fears of tires cracking? Have not had it happen in years of driving on PS2 and Cup Tires. Even in the winter. Your results may vary
Old 10-24-2017, 12:18 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by Big&BadGTA
Fears of tires cracking? Have not had it happen in years of driving on PS2 and Cup Tires. Even in the winter. Your results may vary
This is good to know. Guys on LS1tech say they get cracks or deformities below 40deg. Both Michelin and Continental say tires must be stored during winter to prevent damage.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:49 PM
Supreme Member

Good to know. Tires are my biggest concern, mainly the lack of selection. This drives up cost.

I plan to commute in my car so I want something that can take a bunch of miles on the highway.

I may drop down to C6 GS rims since they are a bit smaller in diameter, rims and tires are a bit cheaper. Still not much selection. ugh...

My minitub is complete, I didn't take out as much as possible since at the time I was installing I was thinking of putting in air-ride. I will not be doing coil overs for the rear and weight jacks for the front. NOT going to redo the minitub. I think I can still stuff a 12" rim back there. Before the minitub I had 17"x11" C4 GS rims and they fit pretty well.
Old 10-24-2017, 02:38 PM
Supporter/Moderator

Originally Posted by dennisbernal91z
Good to know. Tires are my biggest concern, mainly the lack of selection. This drives up cost.
I've decided on the cup tires. Should be able to get all four for $1600 through Amazon and or Tire Rack. You could run a Nitto Invo Tire but they offer it in a 345 for the rear.
Old 10-24-2017, 03:04 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah, I have had Nitto 555Rs (315s) for some time. Back when the car was on the road years ago.

Egh... I am not a fan, but that was a long time ago and I had very different plans for the car back then.

Maybe I will give them another chance.

I LOVE the way the Toyo Proxes R888s look, especially in massive 345 width. Problem is I have read multiple times that they are horrible on the road
Really too bad. One of my concessions when deciding to build a more mild mannered car was to settle (for now) on a stock new LS3 and to not worry about tread design. But I hate boring looking tires. Anything that is "good" for daily use, looks boring.

Car is far from being done, but final tire width is critical when doing the rough body/unibody frame clearance work. I will need to decide soon.