Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

help securing wheel center caps

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 Camaro RS
Engine: V6
Transmission: Automatic
help securing wheel center caps

Four years ago I bought a set of wheel center caps to replace the missing ones on my car. I never had the originals, I bought the car used. I still have the ones that I snapped onto the rear wheels but the front two only lasted a few months before they fell of from hitting bumps or potholes. I have no idea when I lost the first one but the second one I lost after hitting a pothole or bump in the road. I saw it come off but I had to go to a meeting and by the time I returned it was gone. I just bought four new ones from eBay https://www.ebay.com/itm/332265332192 but I'm afraid that I will just lose them again. How can I securely attach them? They just snap in and there is nothing to hold them on like my old Crager wheel centers on my other car. I was thinking about gluing them on but I don't think that is really a good option because I think you'd have to remove them to replace tires or for balancing. Should I glue them anyway? Please advise. Thank you.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:04 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts
Re: help securing wheel center caps

Stop buying crappy knock-offs?

Factory caps have a steel clip that actually holds the cap to the wheel. Plenty of real ones on ebay.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by Drew
Stop buying crappy knock-offs?

Factory caps have a steel clip that actually holds the cap to the wheel. Plenty of real ones on ebay.
How about a link then?
Old 11-14-2017, 02:27 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 748 Posts

I'm not going to post a link, because there are many variations of the 15" wheel cap, different colors, different logos, etc. Also I wouldn't want to endorse a particular seller or suggest a "best buy", because I don't want to take the time to check feedback, compare prices, and so on...

http://www.ebay.com click where it says "Search for anything", and type in "Z28 Center Cap", click "Search". Scroll down in the results list until you see caps that look about right, check those listings, and be on the lookout for pics of the caps that show the inside and a steel clip.

Here's an example of the GM style clip, for reference. That's what you want to look for.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:34 PM

OK well at least I know now what to look for. Thank you.