Wheels and Tires Need help with wheels or tires? Got fitment issues? Have questions about tire performance and handling? Ask all of those questions here!

Deciding wheel sizes for a desire look, help needed

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 5L TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Deciding wheel sizes for a desire look, help needed

Im a complete noob when it comes to tire specs and sizes however I know and are rapidly getting to know the car mechanically very well. I know the front and rear wheels of my 89' IROC camaro are different and this further complicates it. I am not a big fan of the stock wheels especially for my desired look. Im really looking for this type of stance(pictured below), my car will be sitting on Eibach sportline lowering springs and new stock-spec shocks. Really looking for a significantly lower rubber profile than my stock wheels and with thinner spokes that expose a lot more of the brake system (whereas I can barely even see my brakes through my stock IROC wheels); its just a really strong personal preference of mine, I cannot stand the rubber doughnut look.

Im definitely looking for gunmetal or black colors exclusively. Im also really wanting to space the rear wheels out further than my fronts, but im not looking for anything crazy just a slight bit of more offset for a wider stance. Im completely open to buying a used pair of wheels from other car models so im really looking for a general direction and some specific examples and not really looking for someone to say "these are the wheels you want buy these". If you could give insight onto some wheels and what they are (offsets, sizes) so I can learn rather than just get a "buy this" that would be great. I've been told Pontiac GTO wheels from the same time period are a pretty good match?

Another type of design/look I like would be a wheel like this however I have no idea how that works size wise. Anyone with experience and knowledge in this able to help me out would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-20-2017, 12:20 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi
Re: Deciding wheel sizes for a desire look, help needed

Im running 18 inch C5 vette wheels. 18x9.5 all around. 2 inch spacers in the front, 4th gen rear with no spacers in the back. Running 275/35/18’s in the front, and 275/40/18’s in the rear, just because I like the look of the fatter tire in the back, plus it closes up the wheel gap a bit more with the taller tire.

For springs I have Eibach Pro’s with no isolators on the front and the heater hose mod for the back. I would love to go lower, especially in the rear, but with longtubes Im long out of ground clearence.

With 18s and sportlines I think you will sit close to what your aiming for. 19s will close the gap up some more, but it can be hard to pull off on these cars without looking ghetto IMO. But there are a few cars out there that really look awesome with 19s.

My car is probably too high for what your looking for, but just to give you an idea on rim options, here are some shots:

Edit: Also I didnt space the wheels out in any specific way. They rears are just normal 4th gen spacing. And the spacers on the front are needed for the wheels to clear the suspension and brakes.

Last edited by LsxMatt; 11-20-2017 at 12:29 AM.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Camaro Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 5L TPI
Transmission: 700R4

Originally Posted by mgg4591
Im running 18 inch C5 vette wheels. 18x9.5 all around. 2 inch spacers in the front, 4th gen rear with no spacers in the back. Running 275/35/18’s in the front, and 275/40/18’s in the rear, just because I like the look of the fatter tire in the back, plus it closes up the wheel gap a bit more with the taller tire.

For springs I have Eibach Pro’s with no isolators on the front and the heater hose mod for the back. I would love to go lower, especially in the rear, but with longtubes Im long out of ground clearence.

With 18s and sportlines I think you will sit close to what your aiming for. 19s will close the gap up some more, but it can be hard to pull off on these cars without looking ghetto IMO. But there are a few cars out there that really look awesome with 19s.

My car is probably too high for what your looking for, but just to give you an idea on rim options, here are some shots:

Those wheels look beautiful. What your running looks really nice, I'm going to have to definetly look into a set like that. Your car is a little high than I think I want , but I think with my sportline springs I do think I'll be right where I want height wise and definetly the look.

Thank you for that suggestion and the photos really help me get a good idea of the look. Your car is looking amazing !
Old 11-20-2017, 12:36 AM

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts
Car: 86 Sport Coupe
Engine: 5.3 LM7
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4th gen 3.42 posi

Originally Posted by suchamoneypit
Those wheels look beautiful. What your running looks really nice, I'm going to have to definetly look into a set like that. Your car is a little high than I think I want , but I think with my sportline springs I do think I'll be right where I want height wise and definetly the look.

Thank you for that suggestion and the photos really help me get a good idea of the look. Your car is looking amazing !
Thanks, I really like the look your aiming for as well. Im thinking about going to sportlines myself, but my exaust is soo low! Maybe some day...
Old 11-20-2017, 05:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1984 LG4 Camaro
Engine: 350 Roller Motor
Transmission: Level 10 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange 12 bolt 3.42

I think 18" may be the right size for you - along with a 275 tire on a wheel width of 9.5" or 10". Above 18" diameter, wheel selection goes down, prices and weigh go up, and with the tiny sidewalls - damage and ride can become a real problem.

Keep in mind that most wheels can be painted or powdercoated any color you desire - so don't rule out wheels that do not come in gunmetal or black.

Also since there aren't so many 3rd gen specific wheels out there, you may have to get spacers to get something to fit.
Old 11-23-2017, 09:37 PM
Supreme Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 88 Formula, 90 Iroc RIP, 92 RS Sold
Engine: 305 to 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 10 Bolt

Yes 18s and 9.5 10 or 10.5 all around

To get what you want almost always have to run wheel adapter and or spacer
Old 02-27-2018, 08:16 AM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro Rs.R
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 3.42

I own the grey car in the original post. Those at 18 inch wheels . With the stock fenders, I used 2 inch spacers to get it to match the fender on the oem fenders, with 275 35 18