Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

car hesitated while driving, alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 03:26 AM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
car hesitated while driving, alternator?

as of today my car has a :
NEW PROBLEM! last night on my way home from a buddys house after work my car did somthing weird. i was driving and i turned on my blinker. as it blinked my voltmeter wiggled in time with it.

and today on my way to work i was driving at like 35 and gave it some gas to go up to fourty and i experienced somthing else. the engine RPM went up a little (in proportion with how much gas i gave it, being not much) but the car did not acelerate right away, it hesitated llike i was pushing in on the cluch a little (but i was not, my foot was on the floor) then it semmed to go, this was all verry smooth feeling. it's not like the cluch " grabbed " or somthing, though id did feel for a second like i was riding the cluch, any ideas what this could be?

seems to me that my alternator is starting to go, so it was missing spark for just a sec, but the volt meter is reading like 14 all the time, so i am not sure whats up?

might also be that these are two un-related things (the voltmeter moving and hesitation) and my cluch is so worn that it is slipping, does that happen?
Old 01-12-2004, 06:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: "02 z-28
Engine: LS-1
Transmission: 4L60E
Doesn't sound like the alt. It's normal for the voltmeter to change with the turn signals or any other electrical load. 14 volts is pretty normal area for the alt, generally they average 13.5-14.5 volts output depending on load and battery condition. You have something else going on.
Old 01-14-2004, 12:25 PM

Car: 83 H.O. T/A and 88 GTA
Engine: 5.0 and 5.7
Transmission: M5 and TH700r-4
Re: car hesitated while driving, alternator?

Originally posted by Xophertony
as of today my car has a :
NEW PROBLEM! last night on my way home from a buddys house after work my car did somthing weird. i was driving and i turned on my blinker. as it blinked my voltmeter wiggled in time with it.

and today on my way to work i was driving at like 35 and gave it some gas to go up to fourty and i experienced somthing else. the engine RPM went up a little (in proportion with how much gas i gave it, being not much) but the car did not acelerate right away, it hesitated llike i was pushing in on the cluch a little (but i was not, my foot was on the floor) then it semmed to go, this was all verry smooth feeling. it's not like the cluch " grabbed " or somthing, though id did feel for a second like i was riding the cluch, any ideas what this could be?

seems to me that my alternator is starting to go, so it was missing spark for just a sec, but the volt meter is reading like 14 all the time, so i am not sure whats up?

might also be that these are two un-related things (the voltmeter moving and hesitation) and my cluch is so worn that it is slipping, does that happen?
well i have a feelin that it is somethin to do with u possibly needin a tune up...cause my 83 startin to hesitate a little...than miss fire...and it was a tune up that got it back to normal...but if u are cheap like me and don't think it needs a tune up yet...just change out the spark plugs....anyway not to get off this subject but i saw the thing about u sayin that ur T-tops still leak...where exactly at?
Old 01-14-2004, 02:23 PM
Supreme Member

Car: 1988 Trans-Am GTA
Engine: 5.7L TPI
Transmission: WC-T5
Axle/Gears: BW 3.27
they leak between the door weatherstripping and the car, so actually the t-tops dont leak, its just the car that leaks, if i throw some jb weald or silly-cone in there i'll be fine, it will drip like once a trip to work (about ten minutes) under heavy rain.
Old 01-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
AutoZone will check out all that electrical stuff for free, Don't even rack your brain. Let them figure it out. If then they can't find anything.

Let the brain racking begin! [MK style]

AutoZone does allot for free that other place charge for. They will even pull codes and other crap for free. Why they are doing so well. For the one by me $3000 is a slow day in sales.
Old 01-14-2004, 08:21 PM

Car: 83 H.O. T/A and 88 GTA
Engine: 5.0 and 5.7
Transmission: M5 and TH700r-4
Originally posted by Xophertony
they leak between the door weatherstripping and the car, so actually the t-tops dont leak, its just the car that leaks, if i throw some jb weald or silly-cone in there i'll be fine, it will drip like once a trip to work (about ten minutes) under heavy rain.
well what i ended up doin for mine....it was in the exact same spot...was i used the black silicon that u can get at auto zone...i would ask them what would be the best silicon for the strippin...because the corner of the A pillar where the weather strippin wraps around is the point where the leak comes from...so good huntin