TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AFPR and your O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 88' formula
Engine: TPI 305
Transmission: 700R4
AFPR and your O2 sensor

I was reading in one of my books today called "how to modify and tune fuel injection" at work with all my free time. I have read up on some useful facts for all you guys using Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators.

TThe book states that "while at the track or if your about to race that you should unplug your O2(oxygen) sensor. When the ECM enters the closed-loop mode the oxygen sensor will report enrichment of the fuel to the ECM. The injector pulse width would then be shortened, leaning the air/fuel mixture, and defeating the benifits of the fuel pressure regulator. Disconnecting the O2 sensor would either keep the ECM from entering closed-loop or deliver a nuetral air/fuel ratio signal to the ECM if it does.\

Just a little helpful advice. Tell me what you think.
The following users liked this post:
Blue86IrocZ28 (05-13-2022)
Old 08-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI (L98)
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 9-bolt 3.45
I didn't think that the ECM uses the O2 sensor in closed loop mode.

The only way that I could see that this would make a difference is that the computer locks the BLMs at 128, but that you actually have more/less fuel adjusted with the AFPR.

I'm not sure, but wouldn't that mean that your AFPR wouldn't be setup properly for no/unplugged O2? Or vice-versa if you setup up with it unplugged?
Old 08-05-2004, 05:06 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Sexy
Engine: Stock
Transmission: Slipping
Originally posted by Maroon-IROC-Z
I didn't think that the ECM uses the O2 sensor in closed loop mode.
That's what closed loop is. The O2 sensor is feedback that closes the "loop".

If you really want a lesson on all this kinda stuff, read this stickies in the PROM forum.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: AFPR and your O2 sensor

Originally posted by AMRformula305
I was reading in one of my books today called "how to modify and tune fuel injection" at work with all my free time. I have read up on some useful facts for all you guys using Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators.

TThe book states that "while at the track or if your about to race that you should unplug your O2(oxygen) sensor. When the ECM enters the closed-loop mode the oxygen sensor will report enrichment of the fuel to the ECM. The injector pulse width would then be shortened, leaning the air/fuel mixture, and defeating the benifits of the fuel pressure regulator. Disconnecting the O2 sensor would either keep the ECM from entering closed-loop or deliver a nuetral air/fuel ratio signal to the ECM if it does.\

Just a little helpful advice. Tell me what you think.
I have the exact same book, but I don't remember that. What page was it on? That book never says which system it is talking about though. There are a great deal many systems out there and all will act differently. If you unpug it an ECM might resort to "Limp home Mode" After spending all of the time to read and understand that book I learned that you should tune a car properly and not take anyshort cuts that could result in costly engine damage. Too much fuel will wash oil off cylinder walls, and rev very slowly at best.