Body General body information and techniques for restoration, repairs, and modifications.

Can you straighten a Camaro body???

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 01:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91 Camaro T-Tops
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: T5
Can you straighten a Camaro body???

I think the body might be a little twisted. On the rear passenger side I have a gap between my bumper and the bottom of my tail light. On the Driver side Front, my hood doesn't line up with my fender like it does on the passenger side. I know the car has been in a wreck before, it was hit in the front driver. So that might explain the front bein a little off like that. Now it's also been hit from the back, but before it was hit it already had the gap there.Some dumb B*&$ was flyin behind this truck, the truck was behind me and I was stopped at a light. The truck moved into the next lane and here comes the b*$# and she hits me. It's ok I guess, she bought me a new exhaust from the cat all the way back, new bumper, new paint, and new ground effects all around the back and she bought me new tail lights and a new spoiler, as well as exhaust tips. But since the two opposite sides have gaps on the body parts I just figured that having a slightly twisted body might be possible. If it is twisted, and since it is a unibody, can you straighten them out?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:20 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Engine: 5.7 LS1
Transmission: T56
yes, but it cost like 300 + just to get it on a frame machine, that doesn't include any straightening.

The fender can probably be aligned with shims and adjustments. The rear bumper may just have came loose and saged down or something. I would try adjusting the panels b4 taking it to a shop to check the body.

Also take it to a body shop and ask them what they think, estamates are free and they may tell you a simple fix.
Old 02-22-2004, 04:42 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 89 Iroc
Engine: lb9
Transmission: wc t-5
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.08 posi
Originally posted by Aviator857
yes, but it cost like 300 + just to get it on a frame machine, that doesn't include any straightening.

The fender can probably be aligned with shims and adjustments. The rear bumper may just have came loose and saged down or something. I would try adjusting the panels b4 taking it to a shop to check the body.

Also take it to a body shop and ask them what they think, estamates are free and they may tell you a simple fix.

as good as this advice is if your frame is bent and its affecting the driving in any way, get it fixed, if however it hasn't affected how the vehicle drives just make it look like nothing happened
Old 02-24-2004, 02:07 PM

Car: 91 Camaro T-Tops
Engine: 3.1L
Transmission: T5
Well it doesn't affect the way it drives, it just annoys me the way it looks. I'll try to adjust the fenders and bumper to see if that does anything. Thanks guys.