Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Need Help. Want To Purchase 1991 Camaro RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help. Want To Purchase 1991 Camaro RS

Hey guys, Im new to the Forum, first post
I m finally going to get my first car and I have been looking at third gen Camaros. My parents are all for it and I found this one Camaro:
1991 Camaro RS
V6
Automatic
no T-tops
as of last year the guy put in new:
egr valve
radiator
water pump
battery
brakes pads and shoes
18" rims
halo headlights
cd player
and he did annual tune ups that included plugs, wires, air filter, oil change, and fuel additive.
There is no body damage and the interior is in amazing shape. And the guy daily drove it for the past 2-3 years. However the ac needs recharge, the ignition lock cylinder needs to be replaced, and the tranny mount needs changing too. I m not too worried cuz I can do atleast the first 2 myself. The only really big red flag to me and my parents is that it has 250 k all original miles on it. Original engine and tranny. He s asking $2500, but maybe negotiate to $1800 at lowest. Is this a good price or should I be concerned with all those miles on the original engine and tranny? I just don t wanna buy this car and have everything break down on me and be car poor. Thanks
Old 08-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: Need Help. Want To Purchase 1991 Camaro RS

Recharging that AC isn't as easy as newer cars, if it hasn't been converted to r134a yet then you will need to completely clean the whole system of the old R12 refridgerent (taking apart compressor, cleaning out lines, replacing dryer and orifice tube, new orings.) the AC would be the least of my concerns. The ignition cylinder can be a pain in the *** due to the vats system you will have to disable/bypass. The transmission mount is the easiest out of all three of those.

For that amount of miles I would pass on the that car unless you are willing to except the fact that the transmission might start slipping in the near future and can you have the tools to replace it or the money for a shop to do it. My car had 156xxx when I bought it and I've had to replace just about everything to keep it going including the transmission but that all comes down to how much abuse it went through in its life. I'm not too familiar with the v6 motors in these cars so I cant comment on that.

I know this isn't anywhere near your state buts its a good example of what $2500 could get you with these cars http://newhaven.craigslist.org/cto/5121453950.html

Id personally pass on it if you're looking for a reliable car that you can trust will get you to work/school every day.

Last edited by TylerSteez; 08-11-2015 at 02:58 PM.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Need Help. Want To Purchase 1991 Camaro RS

Thanks for the insight. I'm going to keep searching