Convertibles Discussed here are problems and solutions to convertible specific questions, including difficult to find part numbers and other convertible tech help.

1988 new vert owner!restoration

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 new vert owner!restoration

Ok guys my name is Greg. Spring has arrived and I,really wanna get started on my irocz vert. I have been on this forum for years. Never made a thread until know. Always wanted too but never had a chance. But now with the weather breaking here in detroit Michigan i can findly get some work dun. Basically the stort of thus car is i purchased it frim nearly to nothing $. I have a t top already that was in the restoration process until i ran across this gem. I have owned hard tops and t tops. Never a vert. And here in michgian you rarely see vert irocs expect for sumtimes at the woodward dream cruise. When i got the car it was a sad sight but in tact. Missing both fenders,front nose,trunk,orginal interior,back seat vert panels,top dosent close all the way but i think the idiot before me put the latches on backwards,missing engine,trans,radiator,fans,etc,and tonnaue cover,and seat belts,j trim,trunk plastics,trunk latch,steering column no key,and bake drums were seized. Thats pretty much all the bad other than a piece of floor needs replacing and the top needs replacing. Now on to the good. Glass is all good. new carpet,door panels are new,dash look new,all kick panels and window plastics are in good shape,top goes up and down no problem,orginal iroc rims and hood, other than rust on floors frame look pretty solid and under the hood theres no rust. Not even on radiator support. Very little on battery tray, has a clean black and red interior trunk carpet etc,came with front bumper and two no vert fenders which i sold all that. I got this car in november 2014. Really want to get this thung running by august 15 2015. I do alot of work myself but every once in a while ill have a mechanic do something if i dont feel like getting to it. I ow. A 73 el Camino, a 83 monte carlo,a 90 t top and this 88 vert.

Now enough wit the story lets get to the restoration. Im gonna need you guys help on this forum. Even tho i have never posted to much on here i know a couple guys. Thanks to me willing and dealing for parts i have meet a few outstanding guys. Even gifted them sum paypal payments and they still sent items as described. I cant think of all the guys names but there real names are mike,tim,erenest a few other guys have been helping me alot. I almost purchased all the little odds and ends i needed from these guys with no complaints. Thank you guys alot,and any comments and help on this thread would be greatly appreciated.

Now i have decided to start to part out my 90 t top for the rest of the pieces i neex for the vert and to raise money for the vert. All the stuff i have gathered for the vert. Steering column with correct keys,goor locks with keys and trunk lock with keys,ground effect for the side,the vert trunk and spoiler with light,the j trim,the interior vert back side pieces both,the og interior black and gray,center console top and bottom,have all interior vert trim,have the trunk vert trim,have the trunk latch/pull down,gonna cut the floors out the t tops to fit the vert,scored me a tonnaue cover,dash pad in excellent condition already,gas tank off my t tops that i know is clean,and works properly,got my driveshaft engine and trans out the t tops. The trans is a rebuilt 700r4 aftermarket stall an shift kit,the engine is a 350sbc tbi out a early 90s gmc truck,it has nice doors and ground effects,all the way around except for the two i already own. I have gotten the drums unfrozen so know its rolling around no problem. Came with new malibu seats. They modified the seats to fit but im going back with og seats out the t tops. Got sunvisors also. Only things i still need are the tonnaue switch that goes in the console, black seat belts because mine are red and one is cut and,a new top basically in a nut shell. Im sure ill find sum little stuff i need but i have been gathering parts and planning all winter so i have peetty much covered everything i think lol. And did i forget to mention i have a og vert fender i bought from tim that has the latch on the back. So i was able to cut one of my stock fenders to,size,and then i ordered the vert fenser latch from mike. He cut it off his vert fender that was beat to hell with bondo. Also scored a irocz whole front bumper with lights crush guard,and spoiler in excellent condition..

Dont wanna be blahing but im finally ready to get this project started. Now im not sure of what i wanna do for engine. Maybe original tpi,maybe ls 5.3,maybe a built carbbed motor. I have a few motors lying around but i really wanna go ls 5.3. But first thing first. These floors. You guys take,a look and let me know what i shouls do. Should i wels in sum braces so wgen cutting floor out it dosent twist or what?
Old 03-31-2015, 10:03 AM

Re: 1988 new vert owner!restoration

Trying to figure out how to post pictures fr
Old 03-31-2015, 10:04 AM

From my phone. Any help appreciated.
Old 04-06-2015, 09:23 AM

Ok guys sorry about the delays with the pictures. I just uploaded a album on photobucket. So if you guys click this link it should shoot you straight there for pics no hassle. Tell me what you think. Lol a little rough but coming right along. I have pans on the way from a fellow forum member my good buddy Tim. The first couple pics are the rear driver side rust out. And the next pictures are the front pass side were the floor pan dips down. All other pans are in damn good condition!.

http://s1056.photobucket.com/user/de...tml?sort=3&o=0

Thanks alot for your time and help!!!