Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

91 Trans Am battery/charcoal can/horn/etc location

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2015, 04:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91-Trans Am-WS6
Engine: L05 350 - ATI 9psi
Transmission: Pro-Built:Street/Strip
91 Trans Am battery/charcoal can/horn/etc location

The old Trans Am is about to turn 25. That means the emissions gestapo will no longer be able to keep it in the garage in my home state of Virginia. It also means there's a lot of garage-rot to fix before January.

The previous owner of my car performed many "clever" and undocumented wiring changes and component relocations. I would very much like to put things back in their proper locations if possible, but I'm finding inconsistencies between models and years in the photos I've seen.

Items with questionable location:

1) the battery. I've read that all TPI cars have it on the passenger side. Is that correct?
2) charcoal canister. Mine is on the driver side, ziptied to the body, with what looks like an extension cable added on to the original wiring wrapped in heat-shrink tubing. This strikes me as decidedly non-stock
3) Horn. Mine is located directly below said charcoal cannister
4) Alternator to battery wire routing
5) battery ground to body location

There are several more which I can enumerate, and better still, several connectors that go nowhere, but you get the idea. I wonder if anyone with a 91 Trans Am could post their locations for the above and/or a high-res image of the engine compartment. I'll be happy to do the same, or to RTFM if there's a decent post with this information that I've yet to find.
Old 07-18-2015, 11:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 138 Likes on 98 Posts
Car: '91 GTA, '92 T/A Convertible
Engine: GTA: 350 w/Vortec heads, T/A: 305
Transmission: Pro-built 700R4
Axle/Gears: GTA: 3.27, T/A: 2.73
Re: 91 Trans Am battery/charcoal can/horn/etc location

My battery is on the driver's side. The charcoal canister was located on the passenger's side next to the air filter in the stock configuration (I've since relocated it to under that shelf to fit my CAI), and I think my horn is on the driver's side IIRC.
Old 07-20-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 91-Trans Am-WS6
Engine: L05 350 - ATI 9psi
Transmission: Pro-Built:Street/Strip
Re: 91 Trans Am battery/charcoal can/horn/etc location

Interesting, thanks. That's exactly why I asked. Several other threads indicated that "all TPI cars" had the battery on the passenger side. My supercharger piping gets in the way of the battery on either side, but where possible I'd like to remove the one-off wiring, so maybe I'll move it to the driver's side.