Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

L31 Wiring??

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Iroc-Z28
Engine: L31 Vortec Carb Swapped
Transmission: 700R4
L31 Wiring??

Hey everyone! First post so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

I'm currently looking into a donor vehicle for an engine for my '86 Iroc, and I have a pretty good deal for a '99 C2500 with an L31 engine. Only about 150K on this engine and he only wants $500 because of the trans being blown.

Anyways, my question is will the wiring for the engine from the truck, including things like the ecm and such work with the camaro? Or what will I need to modify to use the electronics from the engine bay from the truck? Reason I ask is that when I bought my camaro, it had a 350 carb'd and all the wiring was gone, so I don't have it. I can go to a junk yard and get a wiring harness if that would be easier, but either way, I need to know the best way to get the L31 running in the camaro.

I have searched the threads already and did find something regarding an LS1 distributor but I'm not sure what that would do for the big picture. Thanks for all the info I can get. Would like to purchase this truck soon so someone else doesn't take it.
Old 05-04-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car: 88 convertible
Engine: 5.7L
Transmission: 4+3 maual
Axle/Gears: 3.07
Re: L31 Wiring??

What is it that you want to do or can afford to do? Many questions need to be answered by you about what you want, can afford and what your capabilities are as far as wiring and such. Do you want to keep the carb (cheapest/easiest) or do you want fuel injection? If you want fuel injection, do you want some type of TPI setup or would you use the computer and wiring from the vortec (sequential fuel injection)? If you want to use some type of TPI setup, you could probably source the wiring harness(es) and ECM from an auto recycler (junk yard) and either scrape together a TPI setup or go with one of the many aftermarket intakes. If you use the vortec stuff, you'll probably want to ditch the spider assembly and get a vortec compatible manifold and then some injectors (you'll need injectors for either fuel injection setup so that is a wash as far as cost). Vortec wiring harness will have to be customized to work with your existing wiring. The vortec ECM is E-trans compatible so you would need to look into that aspect also. You have all the vortec stuff needed, minus the manifold and injectors so cost would be low but effort and time will be high. On the other hand, a stock type fuel injection setup would be more expensive as you would need to buy more parts but the effort and time would be less. Go carbed and it becomes a simple engine swap (need a vortec specific manifold). Some questions you need to answer, and be honest with yourself when you think about the amount of time and effort. It can be done and all the info needed is out there, you just need to decide what you want and can afford (money and time). HTH!
Old 05-05-2016, 09:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Iroc-Z28
Engine: L31 Vortec Carb Swapped
Transmission: 700R4
Re: L31 Wiring??

I want to just transplant the engine from the truck to the car. As far as cost goes, I want to keep it as cheap as possible, but I want the fuel injection. If I have to put a carb on for the time being just to get it running, I will since that only requires an intake manifold I guess (correct me if I'm wrong).

As for what kind of fuel injection, I figured it would be easier to use the stock stuff from the truck and just swap it over, assuming I can get it wired properly. But why would I need to get rid of the spider assembly? I figured since it was there already, I could use it.