Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

C100 or no?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Iroc-Z28
Engine: L31 Vortec Carb Swapped
Transmission: 700R4
C100 or no?

So here is the deal. I have a 1986 Iroc that was a 305 TPI, but is now a 350 with a carb. I don't know if it matters, but it is a Vortec 5.7 out of a 99 C2500 that I put a vortec intake manifold on to use a carb, since I know the spider injector system would be a pain to wire. I also put in an HEI distributor to hopefully make my life a bit easier.

Anyways, I have the engine installed with everything EXCEPT the wiring for ignition. I am using the starter off of the truck motor but tried using the wiring harness that was on the car when I bought it. I am getting power to the dash through the ecm, power to the starter, but the ignition wires coming from the C100 plug on the driver's side of the engine bay are not getting power at all, not even on acc or when trying to turn the engine over.

On the C100 loom, there is one wire that has the smallest connector on the end, which I assumed was the ignition since that only fits on the ignition post on the starter. There are also 3 other wires that terminate in 2 connectors (one connector has 2 wires attached to it, the other has one) that are basically coming out of the same area of the loom as the smallest connector, and both those connectors are also connected to the same post on the starter that the battery connects to.

Last bit of info, the HEI is not wired yet, because everywhere I have looked says that the battery cable from the distributor should be wired to somewhere that only has power while on the accessory position, but I was hoping to do that to some of the wires that are coming from that C100 plug (less wire to run).

So here's my questions: 1. Is there something I am missing on the wiring for the ignition since the engine won't even try to turn over? 2. I'm assuming the C100 should only have power when the car is on accessory power...am I correct? 3. Is there a way I can wire the ignition and distributor without using that C100 if it comes down to it?

I know it is a long post, but I am having trouble searching for help. Would like to get this wired today or tomorrow if possible, but any extra info would help.