Electronics Need help wiring something up? Thinking of adding an electrical component to your car? Need help troubleshooting that wiring glitch?

Help! Wont Start?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2017, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro z28 H.O.
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 373 Posi
Help! Wont Start?

I have an 84 z28 5 speed. This morning I was heading to work and out of no where everything shutoff. after several attempts of trying to crank the motor over i realized i was getting no where. The battery is not dead. but when i go to turn the ignition to acc i have no radio, power windows, no gauges. when i try and turn it over there is no sound as if a starter isnt engaging or the battery is dead its just dead silent. this is my daily driver and need to get it back up and running ASAP if anyone has experienced anything like this please leave some details on how you fixed it.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:18 PM
Sponsor

Received 649 Likes on 573 Posts
Car: 1967 Camaro, 91 z28
Engine: Lb9
Transmission: M20
Axle/Gears: J65 pbr on stock posi 10bolt
Re: Help! Wont Start?

Sounds like you hove no power to the fuse box. The power from the battery cables goes to the starter lug. A fusable link wire goes from there to your fuse box. I would be looking at the fusable links at the starter first. And power and ground connections.
Old 01-31-2017, 12:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1985 Pontiac Trans Am WS6
Engine: 360ci sbc
Transmission: T-5 non-WC
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Are the terminals tight on the battery? Sounds simple but it can be something as easy as that.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:01 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

Could be a batt terminal, or something similar. Although usually, if a connection between the car and the batt goes bad, the car will keep running, but then after you shut it off, won't do diddly when you try to start it back up. Won't generally kill it driving down the road. Not generally although there are the occasional exceptions.

Most likely though, it's one of the fusible links, as said. (which I guess really is something pretty similar to a batt issue)
Old 02-13-2017, 10:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1984 Camaro z28 H.O.
Engine: 305
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 373 Posi

Originally Posted by Tuned Performance
Sounds like you hove no power to the fuse box. The power from the battery cables goes to the starter lug. A fusable link wire goes from there to your fuse box. I would be looking at the fusable links at the starter first. And power and ground connections.
Sorry for the late reply but it ended up being the fusible link at the starter that had been melted in half by the exhaust heat. Cheap and easy fix total coming to around 5$ thank you for the help