Engine Swap Everything about swapping an engine into your Third Gen.....be it V6, V8, LTX/LSX, crate engine, etc. Pictures, questions, answers, and work logs.

picking which engine to swap?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picking which engine to swap?

i want to put a 350 in, but dont know what to chose.
i have friends with all the tools to build an engine. ive been looking at short blocks, long blocks, and turnkey crate engines. what would cost me the least amount of money? i dont make much money, only on an an E-3 budget, so what would you guys recommend? thanks
Old 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: picking which engine to swap?

Get a GUARANTEED GOOD (running) junk 96 - 2000 truck motor. Have em crank it up before they pull it, listen to it run, check for oil burning and noise etc., make sure it's good. Should cost around $800, in NO case over $1000; NO WAY IN HELL you can rebuild one for anywhere close to that and get anywhere near the results.

Change out the cam and the valve springs. If the car has TPI, get rid of it, but NOT to a carb; instead, use the Holley Stealth Ram for Vortec heads. I'd suggest a Comp "503" grind cam http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-08-503-8, PAC 1218 springs http://www.texas-speed.com/p-4406-pa...e-springs.aspx, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-787-16 retainers, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-601-16 keepers. This setup avoids machine work to the heads and can therefore be done in your driveway.

Then of course, the Stealth Ram, and Frod (Bosch) 24 lb injectors (light blue) or LS1 ones (grey, also Bosch); and from there, LOTS of tuning.

If the car already has a carb, then obviously the cam will be different. Same springs will still work for most anything you'd be likely to use. The car (fuel system) might need no telling what sorting out though, and who knows whether whatever carb you might happen to have, is a good choice or is wore out or totally fornicated or what.
Old 02-07-2016, 10:45 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Car: '02 T/A
Engine: LS1
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Originally Posted by slappahoe2000
i want to put a 350 in, but dont know what to chose.
i have friends with all the tools to build an engine. ive been looking at short blocks, long blocks, and turnkey crate engines. what would cost me the least amount of money? i dont make much money, only on an an E-3 budget, so what would you guys recommend? thanks
What branch and where are you stationed out of curiosity? On an e3's budget it'd be a good idea to make sure you have a reliable daily before you take on a project car.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by armybyrd
What branch and where are you stationed out of curiosity? On an e3's budget it'd be a good idea to make sure you have a reliable daily before you take on a project car.
navy stationed in norfolk.
Old 02-07-2016, 11:47 AM

i have an 86 trans am tpi.thanks for the info,
i had another question...
so i want to straight pie the exhaust, but epa laws say that you cant do that if your car has a catalytic converter. but classics/antiques dont have to pass emissions on inspections.. dont know what to do with that... id rather straight pipe it than buy a whole new exhaust with catalytic converters. anythoughts?
Old 02-07-2016, 12:46 PM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere

No. Mistake, all the way around.

Especially since your next post might be in California or somewhere like that, where you'll just have to RE-do and RE-spend it if you want to drive it. Total bonehead move.

A cat is only somewhere around $100, and you can buy a whole exhaust system that bolts up to it and is 100 times better in every way than anything "custom".

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ct...t/model/camaro

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ho...t/model/camaro

As some examples.

But leave that alone for now; or, do that, and leave the motor alone. Doesn't have to all be done at once. You WILL have to ditch the TPI if you get the motor I described above however, that crappy TPI intake won't fit it.
Old 02-16-2016, 08:14 PM

Car: '91 Camaro RS
Engine: 355 LT1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 4.10

I'm located in Norfolk as well. Check out Craigslist in this area as it's full of deals but as always be smart and careful. Don't expect to be able to do much, especially an engine swap, at the Hobby Shop either. If you're married, hopefully you have a place you can do all this. Otherwise, get a sensible daily and save your money. Too many E-1 to E-3s around here get 'em a "great deal" on a two-five year old car at only 30% interest from somewhere on Little Creek or Military Highway. Again, check CL for deals on cars. There's also a quarterly auction only for CAC-carrying members at the impound on ***. They have some good stuff there CHEAP.