Fabrication Custom fabrication ideas and concepts ranging from body kits, interior work, driveline tech, and much more.

BlackTopKing's "Concrete Angel" Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1985 Camaro, 1986 Trans Am
Engine: 5.0L carbed and 5.0L TPI
Transmission: TH700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.23 and 3.27 posi
Re: BlackTopKing's "Concrete Angel" Build

What are you thinking of in terms of wheels to fill those fender flares?
Old 08-16-2014, 09:00 AM
Supreme Member

Car: 1987 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350 TPI
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: Posi 3:42

Originally Posted by RSFreak
What are you thinking of in terms of wheels to fill those fender flares?
Well, 17x11 in rear and 17x10 or 9s up front would do it,
theway ghe flairs grade down, from center (meaning thebottom of quarter and ) is a solid 1.5" tire as it is. So its kinda funky, where the center of top of flair is more.

Me, I want the tire to be with in that .5" at bottom to still keep the lip look yet be modern with the flush look.

So its all in the off set, I don't want vette rims because I think they are too flat faced and I want lip. So....

I'm looking. A custim ccw would be best option but cost isn't something I could justify untill car was completely done. For now, I like to find a set of old school drags or maybe a set of ROH and fill in both profile and rear view.

But by all means suggestions are welcomed and keep an eye out. I only have so much craigslist time a day.

Lol
Old 08-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Supreme Member

Received 316 Likes on 259 Posts
Car: 89RS vert
Engine: Erod
Transmission: 4L65e
Axle/Gears: BW, 3.27

Car looks amazing Blacktop.Excellent work.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:04 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 84 1LE
Car looks amazing Blacktop.Excellent work.
Thanks man, def came a long ways. And I am dieing to really get back on it and finish...hoping by sept I cna be in full swing.

Drivetrain and
Interior !
Old 09-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Supreme Member

hey guys its been a few weeks.
Craziness between work, weather and just about everything else.The poor Project "WarBird" had been grounded long enough. Finally the rush is winding down and although should stay busy I am looking a few nice breaks to get on the car.

Finally got it back in the garage atleast so i am 1/2way there.
now just need to plan out the next few steps to make most of my time in the next two weeks but come 9/12 i will have a nice 4day stretch to do...well, what ever i want.

So I am hoping to set that towards the Trans Am.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by BlackTopKing
hey guys its been a few weeks.
Craziness between work, weather and just about everything else.The poor Project "WarBird" had been grounded long enough. Finally the rush is winding down and although should stay busy I am looking a few nice breaks to get on the car.

Finally got it back in the garage atleast so i am 1/2way there.
now just need to plan out the next few steps to make most of my time in the next two weeks but come 9/12 i will have a nice 4day stretch to do...well, what ever i want.

So I am hoping to set that towards the Trans Am.

When I first came into this build thread I was going to give you **** for building this monstrosity.. Then, about half way through I started to see your vision and then realized you are extremely talented and me being a painter of sorts, I was blown away.

You didn't let anyones negative comments change your view. Keep up the good work, and maybe send some pics of your cars to different vendors and see If you can get some wheels sponsored for you.
Old 09-23-2014, 10:32 PM

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
Car: 1992 Trans Am GTA
Engine: L98 5.7L 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.23

Thats amazing great work!
Old 09-24-2014, 08:58 AM

Car: 1986 Camaro Sport Coupe (Part Out)
Engine: 2.8 MPFI V6
Transmission: 700R4 Automatic 4 speed
Axle/Gears: 3.42 Open With Drum Brakes

I can't wait for this thread to kick back up again when you start the interior and drivetrain work. I'll be watching for updates!
Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys.
Lyrikz74; i am glad you have come to like it. I expected most not to and was somewhat prepared for the negative and critical views. which even then i did consider, and there have been a few ideals on the thread that were incorporated. so i think that was a fun aspect of the thread.

when i get into the interior, i imagine this area being even more so...so i am going to post pictures (little concpet drawings of what ideal ive come up with to start with ) and will take all feedback in consideration. should be fun.

hardest part is trying to change it so that any 3rdgen guy can easly see that, its far from stock with out changing it so much no one in the word could tell it is a 3rdgen. at the same time making it all flow with in "my" idea.

and from a painter stance, tank you. i dont claim to be either body guy or paint so that def means a lot.

firebirddude142, thanks man! hopefully the rest really brings it all together as well.

86sportscoupe, dude. your still here! lmao. jk
yeah man, i been itching believe me. but its all been alot of start/stop -start/stop and i got frustrated. so i have had to wait to really get into it. and even now, i actually have one last project to finish..then i am all Trans Am until end of the year...but guy came to me kinda late...so set me back, rrrrrrrr
lol

everyone
On top of that. i have actually found myself struggling with motivation and have finally started to feel some deterrence fighting with this TPI unit. Finally had everything square about two weeks ago and was feeling pretty good after the compound battles of just everything (guy really did some stupid stuff and of course old car and me, not a mechanic didnt help)- so after a nice learning curve. i finally dared to drive it...

wasnt fun pushing it home, glad ppl in my neighborhood like it, had like 15 kids trying to help.

so what was then, a start idle run and then stall (160* or 10-15mins) is now, a idle and run with no stall yet, but no start (no pulse)... so if there was ever a time i like to challenge the "fiberglass is none flammable" myth its now!
That or just rip the TPI off and go carb! at least then, i can make the intake i want ?!?

So bare with me a little bit longer and we will have thread alive again.
in the mean time i am gonna try to bribe the autogods.

Rj
Old 09-25-2014, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 86 Iroc-Z28
Engine: 5.3
Transmission: 4l60

Digital gauges jet fighter red switches double din feel like it would well with the rest of the car
Old 09-26-2014, 09:30 AM

86sportscoupe, dude. your still here! lmao. jk
yeah man, i been itching believe me. but its all been alot of start/stop -start/stop and i got frustrated. so i have had to wait to really get into it. and even now, i actually have one last project to finish..then i am all Trans Am until end of the year...but guy came to me kinda late...so set me back, rrrrrrrr
lol
Yeah I'm still around. I wasen't active for a few months but I did get an email notification every time the thread updated. Came back to get my "mail order Camaro parts bisuness" going again. I've litearlly got a car full of parts.

I kinda get what you mean by the start/stop thing. My brother wrecked his BMW 3 series and gave it to me. I got the idea of fixing it because the frame is still good. I got all the broke stuff tore off but intill I can fix my Dad's trailer I can't even think about going and getting a parts car. I really want that project to end fast because it's no fun working on that car.

I'll be watching for when you start back up on the Bird again. It's one of the most interesting custom builds I know of on here.
Old 09-26-2014, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by '86 Sport Coupe
I'll be watching for when you start back up on the Bird again. It's one of the most interesting custom builds I know of on here.
This and marolf101x's third gen x06 and a long winter
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...06-long-7.html
Old 09-30-2014, 08:56 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86_irocz-28
This and marolf101x's third gen x06 and a long winter
https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/fabr...06-long-7.html
Yeah this build is def pretty awesome.
Very inspiring!
Old 09-30-2014, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by '86 Sport Coupe
Yeah I'm still around. I wasen't active for a few months but I did get an email notification every time the thread updated. Came back to get my "mail order Camaro parts bisuness" going again. I've litearlly got a car full of parts.

I kinda get what you mean by the start/stop thing. My brother wrecked his BMW 3 series and gave it to me. I got the idea of fixing it because the frame is still good. I got all the broke stuff tore off but intill I can fix my Dad's trailer I can't even think about going and getting a parts car. I really want that project to end fast because it's no fun working on that car.

3Series, oooo.
I like them especially the last body, m5 styles are just sick. had a friend in PA when i lived in NJ who had a pearl blue widebody fully shaven m5...brutally sick! and always enjoyed it!

i guess for me, i like the feeling of just atleast getting somewhere, its the progression that i get alot of fuel from. so the stop n start thing gets me a bit cause its like...i aint going no were. of course i have a few times, hopped around. working on this and then that and then this again and honestly feels like you started everything and did nothing at the same time...lol...so every now and then i gotta stop myself and start fresh.

but i really am feeling edgy to get going again i really am...at the same time, i really have tried to use the down time mentally in thinking it all out.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:13 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by 86_irocz-28
Digital gauges jet fighter red switches double din feel like it would well with the rest of the car
red lights! oh yeah. i like red lights....and switches, big time. i think it would be just fun to get in and hit like 10 switches prime and fire up.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:53 AM

3Series, oooo.
I like them especially the last body, m5 styles are just sick. had a friend in PA when i lived in NJ who had a pearl blue widebody fully shaven m5...brutally sick! and always enjoyed it!

i guess for me, i like the feeling of just atleast getting somewhere, its the progression that i get alot of fuel from. so the stop n start thing gets me a bit cause its like...i aint going no were. of course i have a few times, hopped around. working on this and then that and then this again and honestly feels like you started everything and did nothing at the same time...lol...so every now and then i gotta stop myself and start fresh.

but i really am feeling edgy to get going again i really am...at the same time, i really have tried to use the down time mentally in thinking it all out.
I'm not trying to one up anybody on here with the 3 series. I hate working on that car. Everything is in some weird place and it's overbuilt for what it is. When I'm tearing something apart on my Camaro parts car it's always been a reletave breeze compared to the 3. I find it funny that the BMW guys think their cars are simple to work on. Try something old for a change and see where all my agravation starts from!

Once I get that car done I'm probably gonna trade it for an old S-10, a W-body, or even a good F-body. I'd prefer something simpler and easier to work on. All this exessive computer control is nothing I ask for in a car.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:43 PM
Supreme Member

Well spent the last few months, airbrushing my little heart up to get some TA Funds together and finally have some to work with. Simply now need to decide on best route to take with what i have.
Really want to finish the car but the motor derailing has killed my fire and steam, thus car has sat untouched for months.

was gonna look locally to see if i could find either a part/donar car or motor.

was thinking the car route might be best considering i do still need other parts. was hoping to stay TPI, so i didnt have to modify the hood again, but almost really could care less what it is, just has to be reliable enough.

this isnt an LS1 budget, again "Starving Artist" and has to be something that i can do with in reason....kind of working with 2 hands, so with a donar car, i could maybe sway "K-Members" all together.

thought about the jeg route but i dont know...cause ill need equipment and tooling for hopefully a one time thing...

thought about risking it at a shop, but am really worried about getting it back beat up or worst...getting it to the wrong shop....

so any thought?
2500.00 budget to resolve this "driving issue"
Old 05-03-2015, 04:52 PM

Sounds like a good running SBC would be fitting. A carb should fit under the hood as long as the intake manifold is not a high rise.

You know the car the best and I'm sure you know what kind of drivability you want out of it.

I was wondering when this thread was gonna pick back up too. Keep us updated on what engine you choose to run with.
Old 05-03-2015, 05:11 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: '87 Camaro
Engine: '92 Carb'd 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: factory stock

Sorry to see you have problems!!
Was hoping to see a pic or 2 at a cruise or show!
No doubt you are reading all you can on the issues.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:11 PM
Supreme Member

86-sports coupe, I agree. I dont really care in the idea of some "high dollar" set up and i was leaning heavy towards carb, because i had alot of ideas on the air intake design. so i really dont have to have a TPI, and its not a daily driver...but be nice to be able to do that if needed. I just want to be able to do some of these events and shows out of state too.

issue for a while was the trans...i defiantly want to keep, so i need a block that will bolt right in. 70's or early 80's would of been 700$ fix long time ago...finding a motor for 87+ with out rebuilt is a little harder

t top havoc. i think i read myself stupid...and honestly have found alot of dead ends and circles where too many people say one thing and the rest another.

last spot i was at on car. it would run, but starter was sucking battery down hard...not ground, all of them ground clean, new cables and terminals and tested with meter. looked like starter was maybe shorting and sucking battery down to 9v, which wouldnt let the ecu work being less then 12v nor really spin the motor 400rpms....but the second side to the issue, was the ecu was shutting the injectors down, normally at or close to 180*....

so for a while, i followed others, replaced things and tested thing, but came up empty handed. at which point, i stopped and started saving. so that i had options when i returned to the car.

life of course happens in the mist of all this. Had huge changes personally around this time last year which impacted just about everything to include the desire to even go in the garage.
At this point, i am in a much better spot and am really anxious to get this going.

so i defiantly appreciate the support and help you guys have given since day one.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:54 AM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 GTA, 73 Z28
Engine: 355, 6.0L
Transmission: TH350, 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.73

heres my opinion, a decent small block would be fine and can be done sensibly within budget with supporting mods. 305-350 would be very simple. secondly dont rush it take your time i feel a carb would be great in your hands because you can clean a ton of stuff up and go about your "starving artist" motiff in the engine bay. i understand the fear of being screwed, join a local online forum, get to know a few people and use your knowledge to pick out the weeds, buy from someone with a trustworthy history and you may just luck out with a great motor for say 800 bucks or so. I firmly believe that can be done and that givs you plenty of room for a torque converter or supporting mods, and a fuel regulator and such.

as for pickers and such i can imagine someone can help you out locally if you asked. i got tired of asking back when i was younger and ended up picking a picker and two 5 ton stands up for 125 bucks from craigslist.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:28 PM

Car: 1989 IROC Z28
Engine: Empty
Transmission: T-56

Check out post #14 https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/...ting-will.html

I see what you mean now about everyone saying the ignition module starts the injectors off. Wish I could find it in writing from the manufacturer. I feel that post matches your problem exactly. Got a few other ideas for Saturday if its not the pickup coil or ECM as well.
Old 05-11-2015, 11:14 AM
Supreme Member

Jimmy,
I think that it better not be a pick up! Dizzy new... Not happy if it was yet again another ICM... But rather it be that. Need to find the compound to use verse the gell sold with ICM. Perhaps the heat is causing the shut down? Maybe the start issue? But question is, does the ICM just drop out of action when car is running?! Thought it still was involved considering the "hear soak" issues.

So it works enough to warm up car, but not to start or run after warm up?!

Rrrrrrrrrrr

Guess I can't just...scrap this.
Lol
Old 05-11-2015, 11:18 AM
Supreme Member

I agree with you on the carb setup and was a huge debat for a while, for a lot of reasons. From ease, look, fab intakes and so on plus the cleanliness of the engine bay, but somewhere in there I started off the idea. I have been looking for a while for a sbc 350 87+ motor as a secondary (now primary idea) but .... Phew.... I live in the land of ford and a SBC!!! Is like finding a Pokemon?!?!? Lol but I am definitely considering it! Which is what started the donor car search, but again... 87 + is the hitch to any "forward" solutions. But I shall continue in some form.... I'm extremely ready to finish this off!
Originally Posted by tylercamaro
heres my opinion, a decent small block would be fine and can be done sensibly within budget with supporting mods. 305-350 would be very simple. secondly dont rush it take your time i feel a carb would be great in your hands because you can clean a ton of stuff up and go about your "starving artist" motiff in the engine bay. i understand the fear of being screwed, join a local online forum, get to know a few people and use your knowledge to pick out the weeds, buy from someone with a trustworthy history and you may just luck out with a great motor for say 800 bucks or so. I firmly believe that can be done and that givs you plenty of room for a torque converter or supporting mods, and a fuel regulator and such.

as for pickers and such i can imagine someone can help you out locally if you asked. i got tired of asking back when i was younger and ended up picking a picker and two 5 ton stands up for 125 bucks from craigslist.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:12 PM
Supreme Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: 91 GTA, 73 Z28
Engine: 355, 6.0L
Transmission: TH350, 4L80E
Axle/Gears: 3.42, 3.73

go to a junkyard, round here you can get any pullout motor for 250 bucks. just know your stuff. tbis are typically high mileage, vortec can have bearing issues if the reasson its there is intake gaskets. so check your stuff before you buy but you can get away well with junkyard stuff and a recondition, heads cam intake etc. if you were closer id definitely help you out i just snagged a factory forged 350 for 100 bucks with 86k on it original.
Old 05-11-2015, 01:26 PM
Supreme Member

See that's not even fair!!!
I called two places today, LKQ and Dons, both said, they didn't have anything?!?
I'm like ?WHAT?....

Jegs # 809-12520270 is $2050.00 just for bottom and heads.
Thought was kinda high...for stock.
At that rate, be cheaper to go to MD and buy the 91 on here for sale...
Motor plus the 1000 other things needed.

I appreciate the help though.
Old 05-12-2015, 02:31 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Car: Camaro
Engine: Carbed L98
Transmission: TH350
Axle/Gears: 3.73

See that's not even fair!!!
I called two places today, LKQ and Dons, both said, they didn't have anything?!?
I'm like ?WHAT?....

Jegs # 809-12520270 is $2050.00 just for bottom and heads.
Thought was kinda high...for stock.
At that rate, be cheaper to go to MD and buy the 91 on here for sale...
Motor plus the 1000 other things needed.

I appreciate the help though.
Your local Advance auto can get you a long block for around $1300.
This would be a start.
[

Last edited by bluegrassz; 05-12-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:25 PM
Supreme Member

So i looked into the options, almost all donor car options i can find right now are just pre 86. I looked at 4 motor options and even Autozone, cheapest long block is still 1700.00 no core 1450.00 (Auto) with core. Carb swap to get rid of the TPI demond is still an options, but i have really begun to lean towards a Harmonic Balancer/Timing Chain issue, which is only a fraction of the above. Even though i dont really feel as if its all fallin on just that one factor.

So I hunted around and talked to a lot of people, went to a car night to talk to a local club and see what and who, may be able to work on this for me. Morrison Auto came up highly talked about and although its a little on the pricey side, they are to be honest and good crew. So i called and spoke to Kenny the owner a few times this past week. Finally pulling the trigger and inviting him to come see the car first and see if he would feel confident and comfortable taking a look at it.

It ran a year ago, started 90% of the time, just progressively gotten worst and honestly i hate to eat my pride, but to me...its like 10 possibles and 0 probables.

he came out, with a truck. and WOW....
best first impression ever. i didnt feel rushed or pushed, he listened and watched. i showed him the car as a whole, how everything works and what i was worried about body wise. i also fired it up and showed him what its doing.

told him, i had 60$ cash its his for his time, he can say no, just help me push it in...lol

said he felt good and that the car will be kept inside and watched over...

poor WarBird, went on the flatbed. Loaded carefully and drove off....OMG..."i was about to follow him and turn him back" as my nerves just swallowed my stomach...

but... at this point, i am big enough to admit. i simply need help and need someone who will care for the car "respectfully" more then anything. So a few dollars at this point...i could care less plus itll give me an empty garage, time to recoup and an opportunity to get this back up and going again.

I think personally after everything that has happened this year, i need it in more then one way.

So, here is to a little faith and trust.

Goal: have the motor itself professionally checked out and tested, diagnostic the no/hard start and the prom (for the rich/lean issue and sudden shut downs).
Starting and running on its own.
hopefully its not a major "worst case" situation although it wont be "best case" either, but at least the defined answers will give me a better perspective on how to invest what i have most efficiently.

The rest of the needs, i am taking time this Sunday to go get.
Column
Front Spindles/Hubs are the biggest needs mechanically and start collecting parts for phase two.

Interior

Last edited by BlackTopKing; 05-18-2015 at 08:29 PM. Reason: add thought
Old 05-23-2015, 09:05 AM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts

BTK, glad to see you found someone to look at your car that you feel comfortable with. The fact that the owner was willing to come and look at it speaks volumes already. Lets hope he can rid the car of all the gremlins and give you something reliable. looking forward to seeing the interior. Will it be in the same military/ jet fighter theme? I think I remember something about red lit gauges and lots of switches???????
Old 05-23-2015, 04:55 PM
Supreme Member

Yeah I am hoping for something soon, some kind of news. Atleast this way I have a defined idea of which way to go.

Interior!
Yes, that has been on the mind all week as I have started sketching out some ideals and looking around at "layouts".
The hardest debate is if I want to use 4th gen pieces to reshape "manly because of the curves and modern feel" or if I should instead form off of the 3rd gen layout. To keep an older feel to the interior.

I'm leaning towards the 3rd gen pieces. And maybe save the 4th gen ideals for the next Ta.

I definitely have settled on red lighting and red gauges. Tack will be progressive so the lighting will be yellow Amber to red.

I may really put the effort into breaking down the digital gauges and relocating them with a few "needle gauges" to get closer to a cockpit look.

The seats will be the old worn brown leather... Going for the bomber jacket look and have been searching for that... So far I found lighter clear leather and have entertained the idea of wearing and adding the effect of distress to it. Want it to look old, but be new.

The floors I want to do "liner" on. With an embossed TA logo each side.

And the best part, maybe the most fun creative wise is the rear hatch.
Want to delete rear seats and have a clean flow. I picked up 2old fire extinguishers (flat bottoms) that I will use to paint like bombs.
I still want to put a cage in the back, but am thinking of doing something a little different.
I always liked when the high dollar restros did built in interior cages. So it's there, but looks like a part of the interior vers monkey bars (although, I love some monkey bars)
Just if I do it this way (considering I am not doing a track car and it don't need to be inspected) I can be a little more artistic with the cage, make it look more fabricated then it really is and .... Wait for .... Wait for it....

Ok, boats have these speaker pods. So since I'm not doing a crazy sound system but want some jams on my flights.

I'm thinking a set of these in the upper sail area, hanging from the cage. To look like bombs on the wings of a plane just with speakers facing forward.

Of course fiberglass panels to interconnect and assemble to be a single piece in the hatch area. All painted to match out side... Maybe not so damaged appearing.
Maybe some art here and there,
But yeah all to match.

Of course... Feed back is welcomed, but I'm not into TVs...but am considering doing the tablet mod, because the visual effects are endless with that!!!!!

I did start... Collecting parts and pieces and have begun to really think it out.

Going to start with door panels and consol first, dash and then the rear...
Old 06-04-2015, 07:16 AM
Supreme Member

Car is back home as of last night. Never gonna believe how much of a circle this turned into.

Long story short... Again, it runs. But still won't start. To top it off... Proven fear of taking it to someone to look at...
Tried to sell a computer that wasn't replaced and chipped the **** out of the pain at the drivers door. Will post pics today.
Needless to say, I'm not happy.

Square one minus 3weeks.
Old 06-04-2015, 09:03 AM

That sucks. Hopefully you can get the bodywork back in shape.
Old 06-04-2015, 11:00 PM

Car: 85 Z28
Engine: 93 LT1
Transmission: Auto
Axle/Gears: 3.73 01 SS

Love the car. I think you're being a bit under-ambitious as far as the engine goes. This thing needs to ROAR! I'm swapping in a 93 LT1 with 70k miles. Got it, the ecm, the harness, and an extra engine stand for $500! Sold the original 305 TPI to a guy with a TA and he's going to swap out the entire interior harness for a 91 TPI out of a donor car.

As far as those prices go, that's not uncommon for a new block. I would start posting wanted ads for a 350 TPI, or an LT, or an LS. One where you can see it running in the car, and pull what you need. I know that's a long shot, but that's what I did for the guy with the TA I sold my motor to. I know calling can make gas prices easier, but honestly, those dudes in the junkyard office sometimes don't know what they hell they've got in the yard anyway. I would go there in person, REGULARLY. Some places even allow you to ask for notifications in case any new vehicles show up.

SC isn't that far away from here. Shipping a short block can't be too horrible, and if it is, look for a seller that will meet you half way or something. The market around here (Louisville, Ky) isn't too bad, for a running, mid mileage, 87-92ish motor I wouldn't pay over 350. Generally I base prices off of displacement as far as that goes. I have a full TPI intake just sitting in the barn.

For the work you put into this car, you deserve a bada55 engine. I'm not saying to swap out the entire powertrain if you don't want, but if a deal comes along it might be just what you need to make the leap. Just something to think about.
Old 06-06-2015, 05:14 AM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

It's too bad you're not closer, TPI setups are not _that_ complicated to work on get running right, and I currently own 2 '87's, I'd bet that I could figure it it pretty quickly. I'm really surprised that there aren't some board members that know what they're doing down your way.

As far as what to do with it... I WOULDN'T go carb. That just seems like such a step backwards WRT to appearance and technology. If you get it working right the TPI will be a more reliable and more fun to drive combination. From an appearance point of view I don't think GM made many setups that looked better under the hood, just pick the right color combination, get rid of the extra plumbing (that heater bypass setup, a lot of the emissions stuff... the same stuff that you'd get rid of swapping something older into it), pick a color scheme and go with it. I personally like the plenum painted a color matching the rest of the car and the runners polished, but there are tons of ways to do it.

I don't know how much weight your bodywork has added to it, but at a stock bodyweight a 350 TPI can be tuned to run low 13's in very close to stock condition, and with headers and a cam or heads you can get it into the 12's. With heads (even ported stockers), cam and some intake work in addition to the headers you could even get it into the 11's. Any of that would be quite respectable for a show car, but honestly for a show car I'd probably choose modifications more on how the engine will sound than how fast it will go (unless you plan on racing it).

What I think when I see the rest of the car is something with an idle with some burble to it and a whine (I know you've said jet a few times but honestly it looks more WW2 fighter to me, I think P51), so I'd probably stick a cam in it with some overlap and a supercharger on it to get that, only worry about the heads if you have extra budget (honestly, you'll have a slightly mismatched combination but you can still make it fast enough). If you're still thinking jet than a turbo will give you the whistle rather than whine...
Old 06-06-2015, 07:47 PM
Supreme Member

Name:  IMG_22661_zpssb0xyd7a.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  392.7 KB

Name:  IMG_22651_zpsbbwcxk0x.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  247.0 KB

Name:  IMG_22631_zps4hbm2t32.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  179.0 KB

Name:  IMG_22621_zpsihmpxadu.jpg
Views: 103
Size:  333.8 KB
Old 06-06-2015, 08:06 PM
Supreme Member

wow...pics are big?! lol

Thanks guys for the replies

either way, dont seem like alot, but it is far more then a quick fix. I have so much paint and clear on the car that the chips, mainly on the A pilar by windsheld, are as thick as a chip...yes, pun intended...lol

which means the area that i have to repair is like 6in for a 2in mess up...

can i do it...yes...but not the point.

so needless to say, that is a solid 3day event and i dont like spot clearing or blending clear so. i have come to (at least one) decision. that after... i am done, this motor quest and engine bay is done. i will go back over the body and paint, then put the exterior back together.

I am feeling all kinds of mix emotions on this...really didnt intend for a "restro project" but am feeling like i am kind of being forced to have to start over a bit....

"had i known, i was actually gonna pull the body off, i would of just bought a better base..lol"

is what i keep thinging.

So now what...
hummm

I am gonna debate this motor quest. I want to keep the T56...too much fun not to. So i will have to find a 1pc RMS either way...Considering the TA is built on Airbrushing alone and i dont make millions from it, i need best bang for buck "effective and efficient" bang. Which is the only reason i even too it some where and asked for the help. I didnt want to spend, $2000 on replacin a motor that could of been squared away for a $1000...nor do i want to toss $1000 on a tired motor when i could just replace for $2000...

so i wanted a "professional" evaluation sort a speak.

Now...I am gonna have to simply move forward.
Does it run, yup...drove home from shop and although i was so mad, i couldnt help but smile..lol...just have to get it to start on its own now.

to answer the replies.
i didnt really plan a major motor for the car, would mind one later on, i think my goal was to simply complete the idea and see where the car went from there. Not that i wouldnt, just didnt plan on it initially.
TPIs arent bad, i like em, just this one had "so many issues" that it was a lot of chase repair and replace to even get it "where it is now" let alone a circle.
I will have to look around...and actually go to some places about a motor.

although its hard to decide on which rout to take and buying a donor car is becoming more and more pleasing. simply because mine, still has a fair amount of needs past the "current issue".

and for my area...its very much FORD country here...

i will keep everyone in the loop.
Thanks again for the support, its much needed now!
Old 06-07-2015, 06:55 PM
Supreme Member

So
Today after a few hours of going over just about everything from 0.
I have become convinced that the computer doesn't fire this car to start.
I only have starter left on the car?!? Although sounds fine turning over. Only thing I can think is, that it's still too slow. So I called around and got prices on a new starter (95lt1) and decided I'll pull car in garage first.

Get outside. Sprayed some starting fluid in and started car....

Turned car off and went in the house. Pulled stock chip out of my box of goodies and put into the computer. Started car... Ran... Pulled in and turned off.

I waited an hour, started car again. Ran...

Hummmmm my mind thinks.

Put in burn chip... No start...

Now. I am not stupid, I did this before... Twice actually. Didn't start then. But then again that was before. Timing, iac,ICM,tops, knock and a few wire plus connectors.

Let's see...

So I let car sit til cool, 3 times. Started all 3 times and ran all 3 times for about 20-1hr sessions....
Had a miss here and there... But I also had reg gas in it and figured I take to gas station... Not too far from house.

So I started it, drove to gas station and got gas... Started and drove home.

So far, no codes?!
That has me baffled.
Car is still rich down low and feels lean up hi (rpm) but didn't really get into it.

Not 100% convinced yet.
Think I am gonna let it sit all night...
Get home tomorrow around 5-530p start and take for drive around 7p.

If it can do that...I will believe she is alive.
And if she does that. I may actually contact the shop... Cause they said & were suppose to look at the prom.

Couldn't they tell if it wasn't firing off?
Idk...

Too weird.

But I am secretly smiling. Hehehe

Especially if it drives tomorrow!
I might pull in garage and spend the night getting this paint back to were it was.

Then make a plan and get car Going!
Old 06-08-2015, 02:28 PM
Supreme Member

Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts
Car: 87TA 87Form 71Mach1 93FleetWB 04Cum

what do you have done to it that it needs a chip/is running rich down low and lean up top?
Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 AM
Supreme Member

Good news is.
Although it was a slightly longer crank, car did fire over, run and went for a short drive!!! Yesterday.

Now I'm excited.
Tonight I'm gonna button up a few things and try for a more of a drive then a run, sorta speak.

At this moment I am thinking I want to fix the boo boos this week and outline a plan to get going.
Think I'll hunt, and get the parts needed.
As I get going on the interior pieces.
As well as enjoy a few weekends, driving it.

��
Old 06-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Hey, awesome news, sounded too grim for a moment there. I'm sure you're relieved, esp with the prospect of a whole new motor going in. Great work as always. Post some pics when you get a chance.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:24 AM
Supreme Member

Was looking grim for a while and I definitely need to get a new prom big time.
I am stilling for a motor, just I don't have pressure at this pony considering the TA will move itself.

I decided the boo boos are gonna just drive me nuts so I will pull car in this weekend and square that off.

Interior will be my next focus and the question of how far I want to go with the fab aspect of it.
I will definitely do door panels and center consol. I don't know if I want to mod dash or if I want to fab a dash. After that, floors and seats will get done. Will do cage when I do floors.

Exhaust I need to fab

Replace:
So column, rim/tires, front spindles.

So guess time to get to work.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Supreme Member

Well I think I have gone as far as i can go with the "WarBird" in sight to some changed. I dont think its worth much, but i will put it up for sale if there is any interest.

Thank you all for all of your support and encouragement, it was a learning experiences and a blast while making.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:46 AM

Well I think I have gone as far as i can go with the "WarBird" in sight to some changed. I dont think its worth much, but i will put it up for sale if there is any interest.

Thank you all for all of your support and encouragement, it was a learning experiences and a blast while making.
No no...It can't end here. This is something that is best finished by the person who started it. If it is sold to somebody else then there is no idea where it could go from there. BlackTopKing you've had a solid vision for this car and we want to see it come through for you. Please don't quit now.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:16 AM

I agree.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:05 PM
Supreme Member

Name:  IMG_2406_zpsinjltvwq.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  315.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2412_zpsudgb4a9t.jpg
Views: 101
Size:  320.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2414_zpsfhg6toxo.jpg
Views: 109
Size:  328.7 KB

Name:  IMG_2415_zpshtjfs4iv.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  328.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2416_zpsqjqruygu.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  246.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2418_zpsw3umsa9z.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  329.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2420_zpslu83vjr7.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  299.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2421_zpspd0so5wl.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  325.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2424_zpsn4q87mlg.jpg
Views: 97
Size:  342.3 KB

Name:  IMG_2428_zpswhfxlhhd.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  250.1 KB
Old 06-21-2015, 04:09 PM
Supreme Member

Stupid me didnt close the hood on the "WarBird"
but i thought it would be fun to take a few pics of the "WarBird" next to the 88 GTA for a contrast in the bodies and to try to give a look on actually how much wider it is.

Ill have to try to get them both in a better position to where they are both on level ground and much closer.

but still, thought i share.
Old 06-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Looks nice did you get it sorted out?
Old 06-23-2015, 11:48 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks man.
Yes and no.
Currently it is starting and running on its own. As I clearly have a chip issue.
The 87 factory chip, fired up and goes, just eventually throws egr code and runs rich.
The 89 custom chip, won't start car with out a shot of fluid but runs a lot better.

Still need a few things, but overall. It'll get its own gas for once, so I'm happy about that.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:11 PM

Thanks man.
Yes and no.
Currently it is starting and running on its own. As I clearly have a chip issue.
The 87 factory chip, fired up and goes, just eventually throws egr code and runs rich.
The 89 custom chip, won't start car with out a shot of fluid but runs a lot better.

Still need a few things, but overall. It'll get its own gas for once, so I'm happy about that.
Being that its an 89 chip does it still have the vats still? good to here it does run and hope you keep going with this build
Old 06-24-2015, 01:25 PM
Supreme Member

Thanks guys.
I can't say I don't have serious mix feeling on this... First time ever in my life have I found myself on both sides of the table... Failure and walking away...
Hate to make the thread personal, as we all always have something in the back ground...
Just I am gonna have to make some decisions personally in my life.

Had I done better, gone further or maybe just did more, perhaps I wouldn't even be in this spot... But... Here I am.

So, as always... Start now and step forward, right.

As for the Prom...
Idk

89 chip is supposed to have 9th deleted, egr, vatts and adjusted for the injectors.
But... Like I said. Prom makes no attempt to start?!? Will crank... But injectors never fire with that prom.

Thought about having another one made...to keep 9th injector and adjust for the rest.

Quick Reply: BlackTopKing's "Concrete Angel" Build