Organized Drag Racing and Autocross Drag racing and autocross discussions and questions. Techniques, tips, suggestions, and "what will I run?" questions.

Mod tips

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: Firebid Cab-92/1989 TTA
Engine: 383 HSR TPI
Transmission: TH700r4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
Mod tips

Hi!
I am looking to get a fuelcell and battery installed in the trunk ,is there a store were i can get parts that fit the compartment in a sealed box for dragracing use.

Alsoe looking for a new center console,what have you done to your cars? i would like to have fan,fuel,windows swithches and so on at the console.

Car is a TTA

Anders
Old 08-16-2015, 01:30 PM

Received 120 Likes on 101 Posts
Car: 87 IROC L98
Engine: 588 Alcohol BBC
Transmission: Powerglide
Axle/Gears: Ford 9"/31 spline spool/4.86
Re: Mod tips

Rear mounted battery is easy. Buy a Moroso or Taylor sealed box. There's a few more rules required to having a battery mounted in the back.

Any relocated battery must...
1. Be in a sealed and vented box if inside the driver's compartment or the battery must be located behind a sealed firewall.
2. Use a master disconnect switch mounted at the rear. It must be installed on the positive cable. Off must clearly be marked. If installed in a push/pull configuration, push must be off. Switch can not be made of plastic or keyed. When turned off, it must kill the engine and all electric devices.
3. Be properly secured. No bungee cords etc.

Fuel cell is a little more difficult. It can't be inside the car unless there's a firewall isolating it from the driver's compartment. Our hatchback style cars make this difficult but not impossible.

www.edquay.com has a bunch or third gen specific race components which may help.
Old 08-16-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 92 camaro/99 gmc Z71
Engine: 357/5.3
Transmission: built 700r4 4500 stall/4l60
Axle/Gears: 4.56/?

Hey,

I was able to put both a battery and fuel cell in the trunk compartment. I got a 5 gallon rci fuel cell. It fits in the compartment jus have to cut the bottom out jus enough for the sump of the cell to sit under the car and hook it up.

I got a battery and a nice hold down kit and relocated all my wires and what I needed power to to the back. I got a aftermarket fuse bock and used it to use hook up all my hots. so I jus had 1 big wire goin to battery for fuse block my car is gutted cept for stuff I want.

Then I got some sheets of metal and sealed off the compartment adding doors so I can fuel the car and access to the the battery don't forget like alky said if you relocate the battery to the rear you have to have a master switch. I jus drilled a hole big enough trough the tail light big enough for the switch. Also some people add the positive and negative post on the rear of the car on the out side some people use the area for the tag. This is very helpful I have not done this yet but will in the future.

Now im not the best engineer but it all worked out looks good and passes tech at the track.

Good luck.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86 Firebird
Engine: 305 SBC
Transmission: 700 R4 TCI
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Online since you are in Sweden, places to look are Jegs, Summit Racing, Andy's Auto Sport, Hawks Third gen, Streetside Auto, Speedway motors, Racing Junk , Year one for starters.