Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: 700R4
Lowering Springs

Hey All,

I just bought my car in August and just got it in the garage for winter last week, it does not look like there are any performance suspension part n the car, after a few failed attempts with others rotten frame rails. This car is a GTA and when driving it into the garage, I was not able to drive the car up on standard ramps, they wouldn't slide under the ground effects, I suppose I could take the ground effects of and then it would be ok.

So my first of a few questions
- if this car was lowered previously how can I check?
- can non lowered GTA drive up on said ramps?
- there is much space between the top of the wheels and the fenders and the wheels are overly large.

Thanks for your feedback
Old 11-17-2014, 09:02 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 92 Camaro RS
Engine: LS1
Transmission: T56
Axle/Gears: 10bolt w3.42 Torsen
Re: Lowering Springs

you need to use some 2x6 or 2x8 boards with the ramps. put the boards in front of the ramps. This way when you drive onto the ramps, the boards will raise the car enough for the front to clear the ramps and you can drive onto them. BE CAREFUL THE RAMPS DON'T SLIDE WHEN YOU TRY DRIVING ONTO THEM!! If this happens you may be in trouble cause the boards will no longer be at the bottom of the ramps and you'll hit the front ground effect.

If you use the boards successfully, be careful backing down from the ramps. Make sure the boards are there and you are very smooth so you don't slide the boards away from the ramps or bounce the front end. It may sound complicated but its not. I've done it this way for 15 years. Only issue i ever had was when I got in a hurry and forgot to put one of the boards back and cracked the left side of the front ground effect.

Aftermarket springs are usually powder coated or stamped with the brand name. It's difficult to give you a measurement to go buy since these cars are known to sag due to age.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1986 Firebird
Engine: V8 305
Transmission: 700R4
Re: Lowering Springs

Thanks for the info.

Car is up on stands for the winter.

No markings that I could see on the rear springs haven't seen the front yet, my first check, but will take a better look in the spring.