Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

Questions about suspension on v6, soon to be v8

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about suspension on v6, soon to be v8

I will be in the process of doing a v8 swap on my car within the next few months, the only reason being is that it is my daily and I can't afford to be without a car for work and school.

I would like to modify and restore everything else on the car that I possibly can in the time period it would take me to save for all the components needed to do the swap.

What I would like to turn my attention to is a v8 suspension package, however I understand that it may not work with my v6. Furthermore what would be the best aftermarket option to do this, and or do I need to wait until after I drop the v8 in the car to install the package.
Old 01-10-2015, 09:48 AM

Received 66 Likes on 39 Posts
Car: 91 Formula
Engine: 2012 LS9
Transmission: 4L80E
Axle/Gears: Strange 60 3.54:1
Re: Questions about suspension on v6, soon to be v8

You can upgrade to V8 springs & sway bars without much problem.

Your V6 is a little lighter than your future engine, but nothing to worry about.
People add aluminum engines, remove A/C etc. that makes just as much weight effect.

Unless you are adding an all iron Big Block, the proper changes will not be that significant to cause problems with the V6. Keep in mind as you add stiffer springs, the effect of weight change makes less height effect on the car than with soft springs.

The mods will depend on the type of use you are planning.
Drag racing & handling are opposite ends of the spectrum as to what components are recommended.

You don't need anything crazy to make an excellent handling car.

Personally I wanted the handling, so I added the UMI strut mounts, Koni's, & the 36F/24R sway bars.
For springs, I went with 800F/150R. Worked great for me with both the stock 305 & also my LS swap.
They ride firm, but it is an F-body, not a Cadillac... use the right car for the right purpose.

I'm not a fan of progressive springs on these cars & typically recommend the linear rate springs.
Lowered & soft generally has you hitting the bump stops a lot, which is not the way to make a good handling car.

Last edited by Lonnie P; 01-10-2015 at 10:02 AM.