Suspension and Chassis Questions about your suspension? Need chassis advice?

suggestions for lowering my car

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 01:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: '89 Camaro RS convertible
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 4.10
suggestions for lowering my car

I have an 89 rs convertible I want to lower as much as I can with 22" wheels. Someone suggested I go with ground control WEIGHT JACKS and yellow KONI shocks and struts. I looked into those but I would like to hear other opinions before I decide.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:42 PM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s
Re: suggestions for lowering my car

Lowering the car causes a couple things to happen that would need to be corrected. A lower ride height can throw the LCA angle in the wrong direction-If the axle side of the LCA is not lower than the body side you need LCA relocation brackets. Also the panhard rod is not adjustable so you may need to buy an adjustable to recenter the rear end. Would probably need a new alignment also. Most shocks will blow out or prematurely fail if they are an inch or two lower so you may need the strut mounts that mount the strut an inch higher. Koni and Bilstein work fine with lowered f bodies. Buying the Weight jacks is just the beginning. If all you do is buy the weight jacks and some struts your car will perform worse and that is putting aside the argument about what a 22" wheel may or may not do to your car's abilities.
Old 10-01-2016, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by Tibo
Lowering the car causes a couple things to happen that would need to be corrected. A lower ride height can throw the LCA angle in the wrong direction-If the axle side of the LCA is not lower than the body side you need LCA relocation brackets. Also the panhard rod is not adjustable so you may need to buy an adjustable to recenter the rear end. Would probably need a new alignment also. Most shocks will blow out or prematurely fail if they are an inch or two lower so you may need the strut mounts that mount the strut an inch higher. Koni and Bilstein work fine with lowered f bodies. Buying the Weight jacks is just the beginning. If all you do is buy the weight jacks and some struts your car will perform worse and that is putting aside the argument about what a 22" wheel may or may not do to your car's abilities.
I am getting an adjustable panhard. I already have lca relocaters installed to eliminate the wheel hop. I don't know if I lower it will I get wheel hop again because it will bring it back up to factory level. I was thinking of going with kyb shocks because there a little less expensive. My cars just a weekend cruiser I don't drag race it or autocross I'm not doing high speed cornering I just want to be able to lower it and not have it rub. I'm more about the look than the performance but I also want it done right if I ever sell it I could take the 22s off and it would be a nice car with upgraded performance parts on it.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Supreme Member

Received 76 Likes on 66 Posts
Car: 1991 Z28 Vert
Engine: 383 single plane efi
Transmission: T-56
Axle/Gears: 8.8 with 3.73s

Originally Posted by RonB1979
I'm more about the look than the performance but I also want it done right if I ever sell it I could take the 22s off and it would be a nice car with upgraded performance parts on it.
If that's the case just head over to a local parts store and buy KYB shocks struts a level or two up from what they say stock is along with stock front and rear springs. Start with the rear and install the new shocks and springs to see how high it sits. Then cut off a coil at a time until and reinstall until it's low enough for you. The front will take a good bit more effort installing and reinstalling but you'll get a drop your comfortable with and since you're not about all out performance it's your best and cheapest route.
Old 10-01-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tibo
If that's the case just head over to a local parts store and buy KYB shocks struts a level or two up from what they say stock is along with stock front and rear springs. Start with the rear and install the new shocks and springs to see how high it sits. Then cut off a coil at a time until and reinstall until it's low enough for you. The front will take a good bit more effort installing and reinstalling but you'll get a drop your comfortable with and since you're not about all out performance it's your best and cheapest route.
The reason everyone hates big rims is because most people take a stock car and hack it all up to fit the rims. I'm trying to do mine right. Mine is not stock at all. I just meant I'm not building a race car so I dont need the best performance I can get. I just want whats good for a car lowered on 22s . With the adjustable springs and shocks I could put the stock wheels on it if I want and adjust it for that. I just want it right so when someone with a stock car pulls up next to me at a light laughing at my big wheels I can light them up.