Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Power Steering Fluid Leak

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 06 Corolla
Engine: 1zz-FE 1.93L lol
Transmission: c59
Axle/Gears: fwd ftl
Power Steering Fluid Leak

Hey I'm new to posting but have been trolling for a while :P
I searched and looked around couldnt find anything, i have a power steering leak in front of the resevoir and its dribbling down the pulley.
Any suggestions short of pulling the pulley resevoir to see what exactly the leak is coming from ? ( ive been over and under and used the UV fluid and can tell it is not coming from the hoses but cant pinpoint where it is between the resevoir and pulley)
Thanks for reading and the welcomed input!

Oh yeah i have a 1983 Z-28 305/ho 4bbl
Old 06-17-2009, 08:14 PM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: Power Steering Fluid Leak

Most of the time it is the shaft seal. These can be R&R'd without disassembling the whole pump. Need to get a pulley puller (one designed for a P/S pump pulley). Putting the pulley back on can be done with a 3/8 fine thread bolt, some washers and a nut to fit.

The shaft is threaded on the ID. Put pulley over shaft, then nut onto bolt, then the washers (grease them ), then thread bolt into shaft. Tighten nut down to push pulley onto shaft.

Kind of a pain to R&R the seal with the shaft still in place. But I've done it that way a few times already. And it sure beats taking the whole pump apart to get the shaft out of the way. The last one I did I didn't even remove the hoses from the pump. Just so I didn't have to deal with the fluid. Unbolted pump from engine, but left hoses attached and R&R'd pully/seal right there.

It is also possible that the leak is the O-ring between the pump casting and the reservoir. If so then it is best to remove the pump from the car and replace all of the seals.

RBob.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 06 Corolla
Engine: 1zz-FE 1.93L lol
Transmission: c59
Axle/Gears: fwd ftl
Re: Power Steering Fluid Leak

Thanks man, that was my next guess (shaft seal) gonna go ahead and rebuild a p/s pump and put all new seals in it/resevoir/shaft w/e and will update as soon as i get it on! thanks again