Brakes Looking to upgrade or get the most out of what you have stock? All brake discussions go here!

Brake pedal going to the floor...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake pedal going to the floor...

About two months ago I had basically everything that has to do with my brakes replaced. Master cylinder, calipers, pads, rotars, wheel bearings ect. Once all of this was replaced my brakes worked like a charm. About two days ago I noticed that my pedal felt mushy but my brakes were still working fine. That is until yesterday. My pedal went all but an inch to the floor. I cannot pump them up. My car still stops completely fine, with the exception of how low my pedal goes. I had someone take off all of my tires to try and rebleed them, thinking somehow I had gotten air in the lines. Once we started bleeding them, we noticed that the fluid was filthy, and had some water in it as well. So we completely flushed the fluid and refilled it with new fluid. Both back brakes bled just fine. However, now the front passenger side is only leaking fluid while the brakes are being pumped. Once I hold the brake pedal down, nothing comes out. The pedal also will not go all the way to the floor while pumping and holding it, it stops about 1.5 inches. It also never held pressure or started to tighten up. At all. So After an hour of repeatedly pumping and holding, we decided to close it up and attempt the front drivers. Once again, we were able to bleed it with no problems. Any ideas as to what is going on? Is it possible that my brake line is clogged or blocked? I know nothing about vehicles and am becoming increasingly frustrated. Thanks in advance!
Old 08-10-2015, 08:33 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,262 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: Brake pedal going to the floor...

Yes it is possible; in fact, it's inevitable. Old cars always do that: not just these, but ALL old cars.

The rubber hoses have fitting at each end. The holes in the fittings are TINY. Water causes them to rust. The rust builds up and eventually blocks the hole.

Replace all of the rubber hoses on the car (at least 3, maybe more), and DO NOT let the master cyl run dry while doing so!!! Stick a golf tee or something in the hard line to keep the leak to a minimum, and check & refill the MC FREQUENTLY, while the system is apart.

Bleed the system afterwards, starting at the right rear (farthest from the MC), until ABSOLUTELY PURE CLEAN NEW fluid comes out; then bleed a bit more. The root cause of your problems is water in the fluid: hopefully leaving all that old crap in there hasn't ruined all your other new parts. That was a major mistake, a lesson learned for next time. Brake fluid actually attracts water to itself, which is why it's such a huge issue getting it in brake systems.