Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

3.1 Build or L98 swap? Rear end questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 90 Firebird Restored
Engine: 3.1 prepping a 5.7 TPI for it
Transmission: 700R4 prepping a 700R4 for it
Axle/Gears: 323? 342s soon
3.1 Build or L98 swap? Rear end questions.

Hello people I am wondering weather to build my 138k mile, 3.1 V6 or do an L98 TPI swap.

I really would love to get alot more power out of my 1990 firebird (700r4). I brought it back to life, ive owned it for 5 years since I was 12 so selling it for another car is out of the question. Now Recently i have been trying to find a parts car and people are just not working around my schedule or difficulty like that. My goal is to have a completely reliable engine that I could drive cross country with if I wanted to. Maby 280-300 horse power if I did an L98 swap but I would be happy around the 180-200 park with my 3.1 if Possible. One main reason I had a swap in mind is because I would get better MPG. My Neighbor has a 91 GTA l98 and gets 19 around town mixed highway and I know he floors it every chance it gets. If I drive like that in my 3.1 I get between 15-17. Best I've gotten is 21 and that's mostly highway going under the speed limit.

I am really in a pickle here and if there are ways to build my 3.1 without Killing my gas mileage. I was thinking of doing a 3.42 posi rear end over the winter but I do not know if those gears will fit in my current rear end or what my friend would charge me. I Have a 2.73 posi unit out of my friends old rear end out of his trans am and could I use the posi unit in another gear ratio? Would a posi rear end like that kill my MPG in my 3.1?

Over the winter I am definitively cutting off my smog pump and catalytic converter and putting a straight pipe where it was, and if I am keeping my 3.1 for a while pace setter headers. I Currently have a cat back dynomax exhaust, slightly larger refurbished fuel injectors and a cold air intake so I know I am only pushing 142 HP AT MOST. I hear 3.4 aluminium heads will work on my block and a cam upgrade from a 3.4 but I am not sure. Are there any performance chips out there that I can plug in and gain any power or MPG off the shelf? I do not know much about tuning chips or anything like that.

I am really considering freshening up my 3.1 with a couple small mods and waiting to find a perfect parts car and eventually doing an L98 swap. I have found whole parts cars in my area cheap with running engines and WS6 suspension and everything I could possibly need. But if I can get 200 Horses out of my original V6 engine I would more than happy to do so without killing my mpg. This is my daily driver excluding winter time and I make minimum wage so I would like a nice hot rod with good gas mileage.

Any info and suggestions would be greatly appreciated thanks guys!