Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

1988 iroc 5.7 when driving it sure acted like a fuel filter but not help

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro iroc z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Auto
1988 iroc 5.7 when driving it sure acted like a fuel filter but not help

Okay short of getting a obd1 and hunting for codes here is what's happened. Car sat in garage for way to long. Replaced plugs, all fluids, cut trap door and replaced the dreaded fuel pump, Battery, added fuel injector cleaner and have been running it from time to time to clean it out. But just recently it started acting crazy, only way to describe it was like a clogged filter. On my 3 filter in a few months and seemed to run okay after filter change. But the last filter change it started acting up right away. We would be driving it and the thing you would give it a touch of gas and it would rev up and cut out rev up cut out then just die when we would start to come to a stop. Here is the kicker no check engine light till it dies and no ending light when I cycle the key and turn it back on. It will run fine for a few blocks to a mile or so and cut out do the same up down and die. After you turn it off and turn it back on if you rev it and it goes to kick down say from a comp stop at a light or sign it will go to kick down and act like it starved out rev up and down and smells like it's just dumping gas at that point. Now on my fluke I tested the tps on what is marked the c wire going in to the harness and it reading 5.05 with the car in the on pos without it running. Now I pushed the lever thing for better terms down and their was no voltage change. Pulled off the mafs it happens to be a bosh not sure if that's a aftermarket one or not. Didn't look dirty but picked up some mafs cleaner and spraying out the throdle body as well as I used half a can of cleaner and their was some nasty black coming out from the butterfly traps in the throdle body. I noticed a hole in the drivers down pipe pre cat but I figured if the problem would lie their it would be a constant. It only seems to do it once the car has run for a bit. Usually after about 30 min to a hour the problem occurs and really it's not drivable till the next day . With just turning it off and fireing it back up you get a mile or so of fine driving before it kicks up again. Just any thoughts would help me kind narrow down the problem. Thanks again camaro community
Old 10-23-2014, 05:57 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird
Re: 1988 iroc 5.7 when driving it sure acted like a fuel filter but not help

Originally Posted by Reddevilgg
......... and smells like it's just dumping gas at that point..........
How could it be "dumping gas" if the fuel filter was clogged ?

Your problem sounds spark related to me . A failing when warm ICM , specifically . Now , before ya go and buy one , try to run it till it quits , and then check the spark . We should be seeing a bright white/blue arc that will easily jump 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in free air and have a loud "SNAP !" sound with each spark .
Old 10-23-2014, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1988 camaro iroc z
Engine: 5.7
Transmission: Auto
Re: 1988 iroc 5.7 when driving it sure acted like a fuel filter but not help

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
How could it be "dumping gas" if the fuel filter was clogged ?

Your problem sounds spark related to me . A failing when warm ICM , specifically . Now , before ya go and buy one , try to run it till it quits , and then check the spark . We should be seeing a bright white/blue arc that will easily jump 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch in free air and have a loud "SNAP !" sound with each spark .
Okay took it out tonight made it about 4 miles then putter putter. Limped it home and grabbed a new plug popped off the wire hook up a plug and got a good 3/4 inch jump. Tho the color maybe I'm off but it was a reddish Orange and white. So hmmmm any other ideas. I hosed it earlier with throttle body cleaner and hit the mafs with mafs cleaner so those two steps done as well. It's just stumping me and me buddies who work at shops in the next town over.