Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Figuring out my car's fuel delivery origin..

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2015, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 87' Firebird Formula
Engine: 350
Transmission: 700r4
Axle/Gears: 3.73
Figuring out my car's fuel delivery origin..

Hey everybody.. the while i've had my 87' firebird formula, it has never ran like my previous 3rd gens. The previous owner said that a 350 had been "swapped" into it so I assumed it was a 305 before that. It has some shorty headers with the AIR tubes, a street dominator intake, and HEI coil topped distributor, and a regular old quadrajet. I have noticed an abundance of wiring harness and unplugged connectors everywhere and it is currently carbureted. Part of the harness even goes into the passenger fender like my old TBI car harness did. Also, sometimes while driving, it jerks really bad and won't go over 25mph (kind of like the limp mode that i've read about). I am curious as to if it was maybe TBI or TPI before the swap. Or maybe it had a computer controlled carb. Is there anyway of knowing its original fuel delivery?
Old 03-01-2015, 05:16 PM

Re: Figuring out my car's fuel delivery origin..

should I have put this in the "swap" section? I just need to know how to find out what my car's original fuel delivery type was so I know what direction to take for fixing my car. If it WAS originally TBI, I want to go back to TBI. Same as TPI or carb. Just want my car to run better.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:36 PM
Supreme Member

Received 661 Likes on 471 Posts
Car: 1989 Firebird

Originally Posted by jahblah
should I have put this in the "swap" section? I just need to know how to find out what my car's original fuel delivery type was so I know what direction to take for fixing my car. If it WAS originally TBI, I want to go back to TBI. Same as TPI or carb. Just want my car to run better.

If you search out "Decode VIN" , you will come up with threads that will tell you how to figure out what engine/fuel induction came with your car . One of the VIN characters will correspond to it . It will be something roughly like "Engine code S = LB9 / 305TPI" or other some such (those are for example only and are NOT actual codes , just something to illustrate the point)

Oh , and the best place for this question would have been the "History/Originality" section of the forum . I wish you the best of luck with your restoration
Old 03-01-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by OrangeBird
If you search out "Decode VIN" , you will come up with threads that will tell you how to figure out what engine/fuel induction came with your car . One of the VIN characters will correspond to it . It will be something roughly like "Engine code S = LB9 / 305TPI" or other some such (those are for example only and are NOT actual codes , just something to illustrate the point)

Oh , and the best place for this question would have been the "History/Originality" section of the forum . I wish you the best of luck with your restoration
THAAAAAAANK YOOOOOOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A billion people on this forum lol but I will try this out. Thanks again