Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

high beams in need of assistance

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2015, 02:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: high beams in need of assistance

When i pull the stalk it doesn't click per se, but it switches from low to high. And the lo/hi lights are brand new. Maybe its wiring. I will check tomorrow
Old 05-03-2015, 09:10 PM

okay tonight i drove with the low beams. other than needing to be aimed higher, they are perfect.

Except for one thing.

Tonight i coasted down a hill and came to a stop at a stop light. While sitting there, the lights turned on and off on their own. Not flickering, but literally cutting off for two or three seconds and then cutting back on. What the heck? could replacing the stalk on the steering column fix my issues with the high beams? it doesn't actually click when you bring it back. i literally have to jam it really hard to get it to change from hi to lo beams. Please help.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:48 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check

Sounds like there is some wiring issues with the headlights. Check the wires at the lights to see if any has chafed through. Also check that the low beam light connectors have the green wire going to them. And that they haven't been cut.

As for the high beam switch, it is located down the steering column right above the pedal switches (brake, CC, and TCC). There is a rod that runs from the column lever down to the switch.

RBob.
Old 05-04-2015, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by RBob
Sounds like there is some wiring issues with the headlights. Check the wires at the lights to see if any has chafed through. Also check that the low beam light connectors have the green wire going to them. And that they haven't been cut.

As for the high beam switch, it is located down the steering column right above the pedal switches (brake, CC, and TCC). There is a rod that runs from the column lever down to the switch.

RBob.
is this so called hi beam switch difficult to spot? because if i can find it i will use it at the source and see if it makes things easier.

also, i will check the wiring. easiest way would be to unplug the plug and use my multimeter to check for 12v at the green wire when high beams are activated, correct?
Old 05-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

Originally Posted by bigmoney666
okay tonight i drove with the low beams. other than needing to be aimed higher, they are perfect.

Except for one thing.

Tonight i coasted down a hill and came to a stop at a stop light. While sitting there, the lights turned on and off on their own. Not flickering, but literally cutting off for two or three seconds and then cutting back on. What the heck? could replacing the stalk on the steering column fix my issues with the high beams? it doesn't actually click when you bring it back. i literally have to jam it really hard to get it to change from hi to lo beams. Please help.
This is probably the circuit breaker cutting in and out because there's a short in the wiring or something is drawing too much current.

The high beam switch is located near the bottom of the steering column. There's a rod that runs down the column from the stalk to the switch. The rod pushes on the switch to turn the high beams off and on. Perhaps the switch is out of adjustment.

The switch can be loosened and slid up or down the column a bit to get it to "click" off and on (trial and error at this point). If you have a tilt column, you might have confirm the adjustment at both extremes of tilt to get it "right."

It sounds like you're at the point where you need to stop guessing and start doing some troubleshooting.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:23 PM

What does this switch look like? Also, where can o find it? And tomorrow im testing the green wires on the lights
Old 05-05-2015, 11:17 AM

Picture from someone else:

RBob.
Attached Thumbnails high beams in need of assistance-highbeamsw.jpg  
Old 05-05-2015, 12:52 PM

okay so i tested the green wires and on the driver side i didn't get any voltage when high beams were on. on the passenger side i didn't get any voltage when the high beams were on. Here's where it gets weird. The passenger side low beam kicked into high beam mode when i flipped it into high beam mode. the driver side, however, went out. What is going on? I feel like im getting closer. im gonna go outside and check for this switch now.
Old 05-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Picture from someone else:

RBob.
thansk so much. now how do i adjust it? im assuming adjusting it upward would fix my issue of no clicking when activating high beams. i see there are two screws. im assuming i rotate the lower one and the switch will move upwards?
Old 05-05-2015, 06:17 PM

Good possibility that the contacts in the sockets are oxidized. If so can usually get the lights back by carefully R&R'ing the connector from the headlamp several times.

The contacts should be brass with that dull gold-ish color. If they are dark, that is oxidation. If they have green all over them, that is corrosion and need to be replaced.

> now how do i adjust it?

I have no idea, haven't gone there yet.

RBob.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:02 AM

Good possibility that the contacts in the sockets are oxidized. If so can usually get the lights back by carefully R&R'ing the connector from the headlamp several times.

The contacts should be brass with that dull gold-ish color. If they are dark, that is oxidation. If they have green all over them, that is corrosion and need to be replaced.

> now how do i adjust it?

I have no idea, haven't gone there yet.

RBob.
so what you're saying is to unplug the harness, and clean the tabs inside the plastic plugs? or to clean the metal tabs coming out the back of the headlights?
Old 05-11-2015, 09:32 AM

I was referring to the connector terminals, but the headlight terminals can also be oxidized. Just need to get in there and take a look at things.

RBob.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 AM
Supreme Member

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: '87 IROC
Engine: LB9
Transmission: TH700R4

I'm wondering if a previous owner re-pinned the three terminal connector for H4 bulbs and now, trying to use a re-pinned connector with sealed beam lamps is causing all this weirdness.
Old 05-11-2015, 10:38 AM

I was referring to the connector terminals, but the headlight terminals can also be oxidized. Just need to get in there and take a look at things.

RBob.
Am I gonna have to unplug the plugs and one by one use a small screwdriver to pop out the pins inside and sand them down?
Old 05-11-2015, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by paulo57509
I'm wondering if a previous owner re-pinned the three terminal connector for H4 bulbs and now, trying to use a re-pinned connector with sealed beam lamps is causing all this weirdness.
I don't know why he would have repinned it and then left the sealed beams in? plus this kid was in high school and judging by the missing sensors I had to replace he didn't know too much about electronics.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:32 AM

It appears the headlights only cut on and off intermittently when i have the high beams active. if just using low beams, the lights stay full solid all the time. do i not have enough current to run all 4 bulbs?