Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Gearbox play - help

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 05:53 PM
NiG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 Gray ttop GTA
Engine: 5700cc
Transmission: auto 700R4
Gearbox play - help

Hi guys

In the hope of removing my '89 GTA steering play, I bought and installed yesterday a new ACDelco gearbox.
Unfortunately, play didn't dissapear. It's the same if worse than before, a very tedious and bad play that makes me feel unsure about the car handling/safety.

Actually, I'm not sure that what I feel is a true play, perhaps because I compare the car with modern cars (with rack e pinion gearbox), but I can guarantee that the GTA is not precise at all
It also barely goes straight without hands.

Question is: since my gearbox has a seal, it's supposed to be "tuned" (dunno the word) already. So can I do the procedure ("Removing slop in the GM steering box") or will I risk the rockauto guarantee?

THANKS!

Old 05-21-2015, 06:22 PM
Supreme Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Re: Gearbox play - help

This probably needs to go into suspension for more/better answers, but here's my advice:

on my Lemans, I tightened this up and the steering got a bit better. I did it two more times and the play ultimately did go away. If you have steering where you have to turn the wheel an inch or two to get any action reflected, it's possible this is the cause.

The one thing I did do before I went ahead with adjustments was I had someone in the vehicle turn the wheel while I watched the box so that I could figure out if the play was in the box or the suspension. You can definitely tell.

Whether or not it will risk the warranty I can't tell you. I"d lean towards no, and I definitely wouldn't say I adjusted it unless I was asked!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:33 PM

Car: 1987 Trans AM WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TH700R4 Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.08 LSD

Originally Posted by NiG
Hi guys

In the hope of removing my '89 GTA steering play, I bought and installed yesterday a new ACDelco gearbox.
Unfortunately, play didn't dissapear. It's the same if worse than before, a very tedious and bad play that makes me feel unsure about the car handling/safety.

Actually, I'm not sure that what I feel is a true play, perhaps because I compare the car with modern cars (with rack e pinion gearbox), but I can guarantee that the GTA is not precise at all
It also barely goes straight without hands.

Question is: since my gearbox has a seal, it's supposed to be "tuned" (dunno the word) already. So can I do the procedure ("Removing slop in the GM steering box") or will I risk the rockauto guarantee?

THANKS!

After replacing your steering gear and related steering components, did you have your Front End aligned and with the right specs?
Although the main cause of play and/or slop in your steering is the gear, which surely doesn't come adjusted from the factory.
Anyway, adjusting correctly your existing unit will surely remove the play or slop in your steering!

Last edited by F-body driver; 05-25-2015 at 06:30 AM.
Old 05-22-2015, 03:01 PM
NiG

Thanks guys!

I can assure you this:

1- we checked the front end steering with the previous gearbox, and there was NO lag/play. When one turns the right wheel by hand, the other would turn immediatly. No play out of the gearbox till the wheels. Everything was pretty firm.

2- the rag joint locked fine to the mechanic, who tried tyo move it with a hand to sense some sort of play. Everything looked fine.

==> I bought the new gearbox. Then I have the front wheels alligned by a pro but the lag remained.

So as far as I understand, your advices is to proceed to the gearbox adjusting anyway. Correct?

Originally Posted by F-body driver

Even if the main cause of play and/or slop in your steering is the gear, which surely doesn't come adjusted from the factory.

Are you sure the gearbox doesn't come adjusted from the factory? If so, what is the seal purpose?

THANKS!!!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:45 PM
Supreme Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Car: 1988 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Engine: 5.7 TPI
Transmission: 700R4

With the car sitting on the ground, turn the ignition just far enough to unlock the steering.

With two fingers, rock the steering wheel back and forth. How far does it move before you encounter resistance? With a spare body, while your spare is moving the steering wheel, you can be looking for whats not moving, that should be. (or, is moving, that shouldn't be.....)
Old 05-22-2015, 05:28 PM

Car: 1987 Trans AM WS6
Engine: 305 TPI
Transmission: TH700R4 Stock
Axle/Gears: 3.08 LSD

Originally Posted by NiG
Thanks guys!

I can assure you this:

1- we checked the front end steering with the previous gearbox, and there was NO lag/play. When one turns the right wheel by hand, the other would turn immediatly. No play out of the gearbox till the wheels. Everything was pretty firm.

2- the rag joint locked fine to the mechanic, who tried tyo move it with a hand to sense some sort of play. Everything looked fine.

==> I bought the new gearbox. Then I have the front wheels alligned by a pro but the lag remained.

So as far as I understand, your advices is to proceed to the gearbox adjusting anyway. Correct?

Are you sure the gearbox doesn't come adjusted from the factory? If so, what is the seal purpose?

THANKS!!!

If so, to adjust your GM Saginaw steering gear proceed as follows:
Tools

1. 3/16" allen wrench
  2. 5/8" box end wrench
  3. lubricating oil

Procedure

1. use oil to lubricate threads of locknut and adjustment plug (right on top, can't miss it)
  2. raise the front end of the car so both front wheels are off the ground
  3. put the box end wrench on the locknut
  4. use allen wrench to hold the adjustment plug at the top of the box
  5. holding the allen wrench stationary, loosen the locknut with the box end wrench several turns
  6. turn the adjustment plug clockwise until snug to remove slack, then back it out 90 degrees.
  7. holding the allen wrench stationary, tighten the locknut, remove wrenches
  8. start car, run steering wheel through full rotation, checking for binding
  9. if binding, repeat steps 3-8, backing out adjustment plug slightly more
  10. lower car from jack (stands) drive car, note improvement!

Last edited by F-body driver; 05-22-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:44 PM
NiG

thanks guys!!!

Next week i'll try to lift the car and do some test.
BTW, how is your actual play? Could you describe it somehow?

Another thing that can help: car tends to follow every street's bump. No matter what, the GTA wont go straight as my other car. You have to constantly adjust the car trajectory, plus, doing it with the play is damn bad.
Do you experience this as well?

Originally Posted by F-body driver
[*]turn the adjustment plug clockwise until snug to remove slack, then back it out 90 degrees.
Thanks F-body! What do you mean with "back it out 90 degrees" ?

[*]start car, run steering wheel through full rotation, checking for binding
and what with "check for binding" ?