Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Pls help! Cooling fan relay location & connections??? Vaccum routing?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC, fully original
Engine: 305 4bbl
Pls help! Cooling fan relay location & connections??? Vaccum routing?

First let me say Thanks to all the contributors! I've found a ton of useful info here.

Unfortunately, I've found some conflicting info on the location & type of my cooling fan relay.

I have a 1987 Carbed 305/5.0 iroc. There are some relays on the firewall near the brake booster. They are too cooked to ID by part number. I think one is the spark control. The most fried one might be the fan relay but only the top and mount tab remain. The car is Carbed and has a mechanical fuel pump so I have no idea what the third relay is. The fourth looks a lot like a map sensor and even has a vaccum hose. But there is another by the a/c condenser with a vac connection but no sign of a hose anywhere near it.

Worst of all, the connectors are all gone / melted.

Assuming the reason for the melt down is related to the missing fan I replaced, is it safe to say a fan relay was involved? If so, can anyone tell me what wires go where - specifically for the fan relay if nothing else? The wire colors coincide to the fan circuit but I've not been able to find a diagram that shows where they go on the relay.

Pics would help a lot but any advice will be greatly appreciated! I managed to find a low miles, rust free 87 in Ohio - the next miracle will be getting it right!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Received 216 Likes on 177 Posts
Re: Pls help! Cooling fan relay location & connections??? Vaccum routing?

Identification by part number is not reliable since the same type relay is used for multiple applications. The wire colors and sizes connected to the relay sockets may be a better indication.

If the vehicle is a "G" VIN (carbureted V-8) there is still an electric fuel pump in the tank. The fuel pump relay connects to orange/black, tan/white, purple, and black/white wires.

There should also be a relay for the throttle kicker solenoid. That relay connects to BRN/WHT, PNK/BLK, DK BLU, and BLK wires.

The electric cooling fan relay connects to a large AWG 8 red or orange (from a fusible link), large AWG 8 black/pink (to the fan motor), smaller 20 ga. brown or brown/white (from the C/H Fuse in the interior fuse panel), and a small 20 ga. green (to the temperature switch in the head).

The fan relay, its wiring, socket connections, and the fusible link are all suspects.
Old 07-28-2015, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1987 IROC, fully original
Engine: 305 4bbl
Re: Pls help! Cooling fan relay location & connections??? Vaccum routing?

Think we got it. Mine is an "H" code though and appears to be original. Are there more than one code series for the carved version?