TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel pump whine

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:42 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42
Re: Fuel pump whine

Originally Posted by jester_587
The secret is pulling up the carpet in the back, and cutting a hole in the floor. Turn the piece you just cut out into an access panel and thats it. Weather proof it, and pull the carpet back over to cover it. You'll never see it, and if it fails again you have your little access door. Its easy man.
+1 its also nice that you can get back in there anytime you want without dropping a bunch of crap.

It would suck bad to get it all back together then have to drop it agian.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:33 AM

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 1987 GTA Vert & 1991 GTA 5 Speed
Engine: 87 GTA-L98 91 GTA LB9
Transmission: GTA-700R4 & GTA T5

Solution!!! Replace Fuel Tank and change fuel filter after tank is replaced. No more problems. The fuel tank will have gunk at the bottom and it gets pulled up in to the pump and eventually clogs the filter and pump. Cleaning the tank is not enough because I already tried that. You have to replace it. They are not that expensive actually, and fairly easy to do.
Jester hit it right on the head. I had the fuel pump whining and I changed it and all kind of other parts to no avail. I dropped the tank and found it had all kinds of gunk in it. I didnt buy a new one I had my original boiled out at the local radiator shop and then the inside was coated with something so it wouldnt happen again. I just wonder wh GM wouldnt do that from the factory. In any case that solved the problem.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:03 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Car: 1985 IROC
Engine: 350HO
Transmission: 5 speed
Axle/Gears: 10 bolt 3.23 limited slip

I get a whine from my fuel pump about once a year. When I hear it I just replace the gas cap and it takes care of it. I know it sounds stupid but it works.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:34 AM
Supreme Member

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Car: 1986 Camaro Z28 IROC-Z
Engine: 350 Tuned Port Injection, for now.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: Posi - 3.23

Mine whines too but only when shes half tank and only on braking. Not sure if it does that when accelerating.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:38 AM
Supreme Member

This disk came out of the tank that I got from the junkyard. Would this be the reason why I have the whining sound? What is it used for?
Attached Thumbnails Fuel pump whine-1.jpg   Fuel pump whine-2.jpg  
Old 07-19-2010, 12:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I would be driving on the highway, then somebody would get in front of me and I would step on the brakes. Then I would hear the whining sound. Its because when you step on the brake the fuel kinda sloshes to the front of the tank and I guess the pump does not like that. If you replace your tank your problems will be over!! Check your fuel filter too.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:19 AM
Supreme Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Car: 86-FireBird
Engine: -MPFI
Transmission: T5
Axle/Gears: 3:42

Originally Posted by Chevy86 IROC-Z
This disk came out of the tank that I got from the junkyard. Would this be the reason why I have the whining sound? What is it used for?
Dunno what that is,
one tip when I got a steel gastank open I like to toss a magnet or two inside.

All steel tanks rust sooner or later.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:27

Hey guys, my GTA has a big badass loud high pitched whine coming from the *** end and I dont know what the cause is. When it happens there is no effect on idle or any way the engine runs. I smell fuel when driving it around when driving it around when its hot outside too. Sometimes when it starts whine I will get out and open up the gas filler cap, when I do there is so much pressure coming out that I can see the fumes and feel they are very hot on my hand. The fuel pump was replaced just this last year. What should I check?
Old 07-19-2010, 08:45 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by BigBadGTA
Hey guys, my GTA has a big badass loud high pitched whine coming from the *** end and I dont know what the cause is. When it happens there is no effect on idle or any way the engine runs. I smell fuel when driving it around when driving it around when its hot outside too. Sometimes when it starts whine I will get out and open up the gas filler cap, when I do there is so much pressure coming out that I can see the fumes and feel they are very hot on my hand. The fuel pump was replaced just this last year. What should I check?
Do you have the heat shields up in place? One cause for hot fumes is because of the muffler, its right next to the tank so it heats up the gas.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:48 AM

Car: 1988 Trans Am GTA
Engine: 350TPI
Axle/Gears: 3:27

Do you have the heat shields up in place? One cause for hot fumes is because of the muffler, its right next to the tank so it heats up the gas.
yes my car has the heat sheild above the muffler in place. I drove the car about 100 miles today in vegas heat and it started whining again when it got down to about a half tank. Idk what to do...
Old 07-23-2010, 05:44 PM
Supreme Member

Well I believe that when we accelerate or deaccelerate or even make turns, the "little tub" (inside the tank) so to say, is probably cracked or broken which leaks the fuel thus causing the fuel pump to suck up or pump air, making the whining sound. You will never here a whine from a 2003 Ford Expedition unless it is completely empty because in the center of the fuel tank, the design is a swirl which will not let fuel swish around even on the hardest turn, accel, or braking. So I think our tanks internals are broken or failing to keep the fuel in the "little tub" to prevent the FP from pumping air. this is my best guess. The best way to confirm this little tub is if someone has a old fuel tank, they would have to open it up. But who in the heck is going to have an old fuel tank in the garage?
Old 07-25-2010, 09:32 PM

Car: 1990 Iroc Z
Engine: 355
Transmission: built 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.73 posi

I dont wholeheartedly agree. It can happen whether there is a quarter tank of fuel or a full tank. I am at a loss fighting mine. It only happen in the summertime when its very hot out.
Old 07-25-2010, 11:45 PM

Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 tpi
Transmission: 700-r4
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Originally Posted by BigBadGTA
Check your fuel pressure when this happens. Mine would do this and it was because my old worn out fuel pressure diagram would stick and I would have 90 psi because the return would be completely blocked off. And the weird thing is that it wouldnt make the car run all that worse.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:51 AM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tsram
I dont wholeheartedly agree. It can happen whether there is a quarter tank of fuel or a full tank. I am at a loss fighting mine. It only happen in the summertime when its very hot out.
Yours happens with a full tank? Interesting. Could be a failing pump.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:34 AM

Yours happens with a full tank? Interesting. Could be a failing pump.
The fuel pump is only a couple of months old. Granted, it's from Advanced Auto. A cheap "Airtex" pump I think. I changed the fuel pump relay, pump, strainer, fuel filter, ignition module, and yesterday I put in a set of Bosch 3's and it still did it again after driving 10 miles or so and shut it off. Tried to re-start, and it died. The car will start, then the pump whines noticably different, then it dies within a matter of seconds of starting. I know it's heat-related. It's almost like vapor lock. If you let it sit and cool off for 45mins-1hr, it'll start up and run fine.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:07 PM

Car: 87 Iroc-Z
Engine: 305 tpi
Axle/Gears: 3.42

Iteresting you say vapor lock because when my car would have this high pitch whine I would put the fuel pressure gauge on it and it would read 90 and when I would press the release button there would be lots of air bubbles and there would be pressure behind the gas cap too. I just changed FPRs and it doesn't do it anymore
Old 07-26-2010, 02:41 PM

How many that have this problem have a adjustable FP regulator I wonder? What pressures are they set at. Mine is set at 46-47psi. I don't remember the car doing this before I changed regulators, but I didn't drive it long at all before I rebuilt the engine. I think the cam specs reccomended the adjustable regulator be installed. Anyone play with their fuel pressure settings to see if it helped the issue any?
What makes me think it's just a heat issue though, is when mine acts up, if I can get at least 3-4 gallons of cool/fresh fuel in it the car will crank and run.
I am suspect of a crappy "new" fuel pump.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by tsram
The fuel pump is only a couple of months old. Granted, it's from Advanced Auto. A cheap "Airtex" pump I think. I changed the fuel pump relay, pump, strainer, fuel filter, ignition module, and yesterday I put in a set of Bosch 3's and it still did it again after driving 10 miles or so and shut it off. Tried to re-start, and it died. The car will start, then the pump whines noticably different, then it dies within a matter of seconds of starting. I know it's heat-related. It's almost like vapor lock. If you let it sit and cool off for 45mins-1hr, it'll start up and run fine.
Maby your issue has to do with the Coolant Temperature Sensor (starting while hot and turning off). But thats a different thread matter.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:48 PM

I recently (3weeks ago) changed that as well while trying to diagnose a no start problem. It wound up being a bad injector and is why I ended up changing them all. It was a separate issue.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM
Supreme Member

Oh man. You got a sneeky issue that refuses to let you find her.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:14 PM

Just changed my fuel filter on the frame rail on a 92 convertible it was beyond filth. I could barely blow through it.

I am thinking that the fuel filter is probably just a metal element that rusts with time. It was whining pretty bad, had alot of pressure, and was starting to stall.

Changed it and now the problem seems to be gone.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 PM

Oh one last question if you have a convertible how would you do the mod because I think there is a magnet that holds the frame down?

I think the real solution is new tank, new pump new fuel filter. I think the tanks are just getting some serious rust in them.

Matt
Old 09-20-2010, 08:46 AM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305
Transmission: 700r4

If you're looking for a potential solution to these new whiny pumps, read on.

My original pump made no abnormal noises whatsoever. It died a couple years back. I had it replaced at a Chevy dealer, and the new one howled like a damn steam locomotive about 30-60 minutes of driving. (WOOOOO...... WOOOOOOO.... WOOOOOOOO....) Exactly like that, exactly. The dealer said that's not normal. Then they tried to tell me GM said there is nothing wrong with that noise. Then they told me they replaced it under warranty. No idea if they did or not, but after posting here I finally got a reply that seems to explain the entire situation clearly and offers a potential solution. I haven't done this yet, so if anyone does, please reply in here or my thread on the results.

Read the LAST 2 posts in this thread for the likely cause and possible solution.

https://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tech...king-loud.html
Old 09-20-2010, 09:03 AM

The gm dealership gives a lifetime warranty on there pumps? Does the dealer have to install it>?

Thanks

Matt

So what did the problem end up being the pump?
Old 09-20-2010, 10:46 PM
Supreme Member

Most def. Thats how they give the warranty because it would be installed by a so called "Professional Mechanic." Some of these mechanics are better cutting up drugs than doing an oil changes.. All jokes aside. Yes though.
Old 09-23-2010, 10:52 PM

Does the pump have a sump or baffling around it to prevent overheating or cavitation?

Seems like this is a huge problem with camaros. I have owned 8 mustangs and never had any gas problems. Pretty much same setups.

Wonder if there is a diffrent gas tank you could put in it to stop it once and for all.

Mine was building tons of pressure i think it was due to a faulty clogged fuel filter. But that tells me the gas tank is probably rusty and dirty.

Matt
Old 09-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Supreme Member

Originally Posted by stielow775
Does the pump have a sump or baffling around it to prevent overheating or cavitation?

Seems like this is a huge problem with camaros. I have owned 8 mustangs and never had any gas problems. Pretty much same setups.

Wonder if there is a diffrent gas tank you could put in it to stop it once and for all.

Mine was building tons of pressure i think it was due to a faulty clogged fuel filter. But that tells me the gas tank is probably rusty and dirty.

Matt
A Mulestang is not relevant to Thirdgen.org. I really am not familiar with the Mulestang fuel tank either.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:19 AM

Oh I think camaros are alot better built machines but i was just wondering about this because it seems to affect alot of people on this board. I wonder if putting a 4th gen gas tank would fix the problem permanently. If you search the board fuel pressure and excessive heat in the fuel tank to the point of boiling the fuel is effect alot of members. Every manufacturer has problems with specific things. Just seems like it has some issues.

Matt
Old 09-24-2010, 08:28 AM
Supreme Member

What's the difference in a 3rd to 4th gen tank?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:34 AM

Car: 91 Z28
Engine: 305 TPI

Elthesh,
Have you trid the BOSH Turbine? I have the same howling issue without a drivability problem. I havent found a consistant pattern, it always howls when the tank is low, but at other intermittant times as well. Yesterday I had 1/2 - 3/4 Tank and it started howling I pulled the gas cap off and the pitch changed but there was so much pressure that it seemed like there was an air pump inside not a fuel pump. Even with the cap off I could feel constant airflow from the filler. However, when I do the same thing when the pump is not howling there is absolutely no pressure in the tank.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:21 PM

Car: 1991 Pontiac Trans Am
Engine: 305

I have not yet gotten around to the pump yet, although it's coming soon. I've also discovered that the stench of fuel is coming from the defective fuel filler neck. Once the tank comes out to be replaced, I'll be dealing with the fuel pump.
Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 AM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

Anyone found an answer to this? My car does it bad in the heat now. It didn't use to do it befor I got my new exhaust out on, since then I have had this happen twice. Come to a stop light after driving for about an hour in 75+ temp and the car doesn't want to move and has no power, pull over and you can hear the pump whining really bad and loud, let it sit and it will fire right up and go till its hot. It seems to happen if I have less than a 1/4 of a tank though... Wish someone knew the answer to this, I ripped out my canister braise it was. Ad and blocked the line with a vacuum hose cap, running stock none center cap but I'm thinking about getting a vented. I don't have any pressure if I take off the cap though, I never hear anything.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:30 AM

Kid94,

I've come to the conclusion that installing 'aftermarket' exhaust systems are the culprit here. I never had this problem until I installed the american thunder flowmaster catback exhaust. I don't tighten the gas cap all the way, so that seems to help some, but in extreme heat, she'll quite me. It has to be that the aftermarket exhaust/muffler is putting out too much heat under the gas tank, and is heating up the fuel. I've checked and done everything else, so it has to be the aftermarket exhaust. My 2 cents...
Old 07-06-2012, 10:32 AM

Car: 89 Camaro IROC-Z
Engine: 350 TPI crate
Transmission: 700 R4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolts Borg Warner 2.77

Did you try some insulation between exhaust and fuel tank?
Old 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM
Supreme Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car: 1986 camaro Sports Coupe
Engine: L31 350
Transmission: 89 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3.42 gov lock

Originally Posted by firebird
Kid94,

I've come to the conclusion that installing 'aftermarket' exhaust systems are the culprit here. I never had this problem until I installed the american thunder flowmaster catback exhaust. I don't tighten the gas cap all the way, so that seems to help some, but in extreme heat, she'll quite me. It has to be that the aftermarket exhaust/muffler is putting out too much heat under the gas tank, and is heating up the fuel. I've checked and done everything else, so it has to be the aftermarket exhaust. My 2 cents...
how tight do you tighten your cap? 1 click? And I think it's thr exhaust too because it never did it with my original exhaust. But if you stay above half tank does it help? Because it seems to happen to me if I get below a half tank, like a fourth. I'm going on a 3 hour trip Tuesday and I'm hoping I don't have to stop and sit in this heat
Old 07-09-2012, 06:04 AM

No. Haven't tried any insulation between tank and exhaust, other than the stock heat shield.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:07 AM

Not even one click. The cap is very loose. If I tighten it all the way it whines quicker. By keeping the cap loose, I get lucky most of the time and make it to my destination without the car quitting on me.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:38 PM

Car: 1986 iroc z28
Engine: 350

ancient thread i realize,,but icould hear a whining sound on my car when it got really hot,,it even came close to stalling totally...and i had no idea what it could have been,,til i read this.my pump is not in the tank however.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:25 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc convertible
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

I never tighten my gas cap and I never have had a problem.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 AM

NY87,

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust system?
Old 07-16-2012, 11:24 AM

Car: 1987 Iroc convertible
Axle/Gears: 3.42 posi

Originally Posted by firebird
NY87,

Do you have an aftermarket exhaust system?
Shorty headers and flowmaster exhaust.