Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

Bogging at 40mph need help!!

Old 08-14-2015, 01:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bogging at 40mph need help!!

Hey guys long time no see. I am having problems with my daily driver (a 1987 caprice) and I had no where else to go!

The vehicle has an Olds 307 with a Rochester quadrajet. I usually drive locally however this past weekend i went to a friends place 3 hours away. The vehicle performed great the entire way there, as well as on the way to a local restaurant however as soon as we got back in the vehicle to go home it would creep up to about 40mph than just bog and fall on its face. When this would happen I could let off the gas quickly and for the engine to recover or the engine would just stall out and i'd have to pull over and restart it. The car was always a little touchy when starting from an idle, i had just assumed that was the quadrajet (this is my first carbureted engine).

Other than that the car idles great and revs to the moon with no load on the engine. I checked for vacuum leaks and all the lines look good with no signs of wear or cracks (I checked with both propane and carb cleaner). The car suffered from a similar problem a while back and it was a faulty fuel filter, so i changed the fuel filter although it had no signs of clogging or debris. I also cleaned the carb and adjusted the tension on the secondaries and verified a steady delivery of fuel from the accell pump. Checked the distributer cap and rotor looked good with minor corrosion on a few of the sparkplug wires connectors, no cracked in the cap and the points looked descent without massive corrosion or wear..

I am just lost at the moment of what the problem could be and alittle overwhelmed by the possibilities. From what I gathered it could still be a handful of options;

-carb needs rebuild?
-overlooked vacuum leak?
-ignition issue? (cap/rotor/plugs/wires)
-mechanical fuel pump?
-jumped timing??

I had also rescently put in a new gas tank and sending unit so i wonder if it could have been faulty? I just today started the car and noticed a strange whine from the back half of the vehicle. Took a short drive around the block (problem still persisting) and the whine had went away when i got back..

Right now i'm going to see if i can find a fuel pressure gauge and just begin double and triple checking before i just start throwing money at the car.. It would probably be cheaper to throw a 350 in it.

I appreciate all replies!!
Old 08-14-2015, 02:19 PM

Re: Bogging at 40mph need help!!

Just checked all the plugs look good don't look leaned out so starting to feel this may be ignition related..
Old 08-14-2015, 05:25 PM

bump
Old 05-22-2018, 11:56 PM

I know this is an old thread, but...
nobody mentioned the ignition coil.
In 'Park' a weak coil will still rev pretty good
but under load and higher revs it can't hack it and the engine dies.
First time I experienced this I did a full tune up plugs, wires, cap & rotor.
Didn't help.
Then I replaced the the ignition module in the distributor.
Didn't help.
I didn't suspect the coil because on a crank test I saw a good spark.
But since it was the last part I swapped coils with a good running car and whadya know it was the coil.
With the coil off the car I did see a burn mark on the bottom from the epoxy to ground.