TPI Tuned Port Injection discussion and questions. LB9 and L98 tech, porting, tuning, and bolt-on aftermarket products.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

please help fighting demons

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2015, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 s10/ 1983 camaro
Engine: tpi 383 stroked
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373
please help fighting demons

ok first off just wanted to say thank you in advance for any help you guys have for me now where do i start well its a 1993 chevy s10 i know its not a thrid gen but.. its worth a try this is where you guys come into play i have a weather proof computer and wiring harness speed density setup built by jims performance out of Maryland it has a tune port setup on a fresh chevy 383 built buy a machine shop build specks of motor is the following CAMSHAFT TPI
.499/.493-260/272-216/223-113 DEGREES
HYDRAULIC LIFTERS
BRASS FREEZE PLUGS
TRI-METAL 780 “IROC” SERIES BEARINGS
CLOYES ROLLER TIMING SET
COMPLETE GASKET SET
MELLING HV OIL PUMP
ALUMINUM CYLINDER HEADS 64CC 190CC INTAKE RUNNERS
W/1.60/2.02 STAINLESS STEEL SWIRL POLISHED VALVES
SCREW-IN STUDS & GUIDE PLATES
ARP CYLINDER HEAD BOLTs
BORE AND HONE BLOCK WITH TORQUE PLATe
DECK ENGINE BLOCK PARALLEL TO MAIN LINE
RE-SIZE CONNECTING RODS WITH ARP BOLTS AND NUTS
HANG AND ALIGN PISTONS
LINE HONE ENGINE BLOCK
FULLY BALANCE ENGINE ASSEMBLY
ASSEMBLE LONG BLOCK A built AUTO TRANSMISSION 4l60e from patc transmission brand new with a 2200 stall converter
also it has a brand new edelbrock lower intake and runners new bosh fuel injectors part # 280155715 24 #s adjustable fuel pressure reg set at 48 psi with vacuum line off new fuel pump all new gaskets new knock sensor new fuel lines new o2 sensor 3 wire new spark plugs and wire set new hei msd distributor set at 6* before top dead center with tan wire unplugged to set timing new msd coil everything is new now i had jims performance reprogram the computer for me now this is my problem fuel will not hold pressure and motor when cold runs but as it starts to worm up it is missing and back fires through intake also headers start to turn cherry red so i called jim and he told me to check a few things with him on the phone he had me pinch off fuel return line to check if i had a bad fuel pressure regulator with motor off and key turned to the on position because he had that happen to him before so i did and it was better but it still dropped over time like say 20 mins or so it will hold pressure where before it would drop immediately so he came to the conclusion that the pressure reg was faulty and told me to get a new one and install it so i did and i ended up getting a new adjustable regulator holly 512-501 and installed it so before i put the intake back together with new fuel pressure regulator on i checked fuel pressure again with intake runners off so i didnt waste a new set of runner gaskets and it still did the same thing so i called holly and spoke with the technician and he told me that it was normal for it to not hold pressure with out the motor running and that it was a safety feature to go ahead and put it together and just make sure to set pressure with the vacuum line off and make sure that it holds pressure while running so i put together and same running condition and it holds pressure while running so when i first start it up runs ok but as it starts to heat up starts back firing through intake when i apply the gas to it and headers start to glow ive checked timing many times am at loss here i haven't even broke the motor in yet and this is what has me so nervous i dont want to mess it up ive put a lot of money into this and am still where i started i desperately need you guys expert help i dont want to keep trowing money at this tell me what iam doing wrong here or what to look for and thanks again in advance for any help you could bring to my situation
Old 07-23-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car: 87 Iroc
Engine: modified 350
Transmission: high performance built 700R4
Axle/Gears: Strange S60 3:73
Re: please help fighting demons

You need to put a scan tool on your car and see what the fuel values are.And to see what the rest of your motor is doing.I wouldn't run it to long like it is running or you could do severe damage to the motor.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1993 s10/ 1983 camaro
Engine: tpi 383 stroked
Transmission: 4l60e
Axle/Gears: 373
Re: please help fighting demons

will a snap on scan tool work for that Steve Mack its the old one red brick style i be leave i may have found some of the problem i decided to make sure there wasnt any vacuum leaks so i took some starting fluid and started to spray down and around the intake runners as i did that the motor died every time i hit it with the fluid on passenger side on lower intake where the runners meet the intake so i think a leak at the runner tubes on lower intake side of runners so iam going to have to re-gasket them does anyone suggest a type of name brand and is there a torque sequence i should be using because i couldn't find any info on the sequence so i just bolted them up skipping around like you would a rim every other one maybe that's what my problem is anyone have any insight on this thanks