Tech / General Engine Is your car making a strange sound or won't start? Thinking of adding power with a new combination? Need other technical information or engine specific advice? Don't see another board for your problem? Post it here!

A no start gremlin

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 11:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car: 1989 GTA
Engine: 5.7 ltr.
Transmission: 700R4
Axle/Gears: 3:27 9 Bolt Borg Warner
A no start gremlin

Been fighting this issue for some time now.... New fuel pump holding 40 psi at rail. Spark on #1 plug wire. By passed the vats through the ECM, (Used PCM4Less), as I read where a vats issue could shut down the injectors. The car will fire right off when turning the ignition switch, then nothing, but the engine turning over and over until the battery drains down. Wait 20 minutes and getting the same result. Anybody out there have any suggestions where I might try will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:40 PM
Supreme Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts
Car: 86 Trans Am WS6
Engine: 383 stroker
Transmission: Dynamic Racing Reverse Manual 700r4
Axle/Gears: 9 Bolt 3.45
Re: A no start gremlin

Sounds like the injectors aren't putting gas into the cylinders. I'd look back into the vats system and undo what you've done to it just to see if it will start up. If it does then you know you have an issue with your vats bypass
Old 08-09-2015, 04:19 PM

When ever in doubt on fuel on the injectors and plug a canister of propane with an adjustable valve to control the amount of propane into the system. (Disconnect the hose from the throttle body and inset the propane hose in there) You can buy the valve at the hardware store. I also do this when in doubt of fuel pump working . I will try to upload the pics for better understanding.
I had the same issue and after exhausting everything I know my mechanic replaced the CONTROL MODULE, part cost is about $ 40.00.

Always remember that this blog is just a guide to what other owners have experience with their Camaro but even if sounds like your same problem my advise is to always look deeper before you go and spend lots of money on the guessing game.
I hope this help

Old 08-09-2015, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by TylerSteez
Sounds like the injectors aren't putting gas into the cylinders. I'd look back into the vats system and undo what you've done to it just to see if it will start up. If it does then you know you have an issue with your vats bypass
My thought exactly. Something is turning the injectors off right after first crank. I get a fire on first crank, then nothing. Something is causing a signal from the ECM to shut down the injectors. I had the VATS delete done in the ECM. Can one check the connector disconnected from the injector with a DMM while cranking to measure any pulse ? What voltage should I see ?
Old 08-09-2015, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jreyes106
When ever in doubt on fuel on the injectors and plug a canister of propane with an adjustable valve to control the amount of propane into the system. (Disconnect the hose from the throttle body and inset the propane hose in there) You can buy the valve at the hardware store. I also do this when in doubt of fuel pump working . I will try to upload the pics for better understanding.
I had the same issue and after exhausting everything I know my mechanic replaced the CONTROL MODULE, part cost is about $ 40.00.

Always remember that this blog is just a guide to what other owners have experience with their Camaro but even if sounds like your same problem my advise is to always look deeper before you go and spend lots of money on the guessing game.
I hope this help

So which hose are you connecting to on the throttle body as I couldn't tell from your pics. I assume the small one coming from the fuel canister. Excuse me for asking, but what does this do ? To see if it will start this way ?Similar to starting fluid ?
Old 08-09-2015, 05:27 PM

Is not like starting fluid ( starting fluid will ruin your air mass flow sensor ). This will run your car at low rpm only but it will gibe you an idea from there on back. Sorry about the quality of the pics but I took a screen shot from my video. Let me try it again. Canister is connected to the in-air port

Zoom in to the inlet at the throttle where the blue hose and small clam is ( right on the side where it says Iroc