Transmissions and Drivetrain Need help with your trans? Problems with your axle?

After market shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2014, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After market shifter

Hello all

So back in the day when I had old school VW's you could get a shifter for them that had a shorter, uhmm throw, between shifts. Where can I get something like that for my 88 with a 5 speed, if they do exist. And if they are around are they easy to install?

Thanks for reading the total newbie question lol

Katt
Old 10-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Supreme Member

Received 1,672 Likes on 1,269 Posts
Car: Yes
Engine: Usually
Transmission: Sometimes
Axle/Gears: Behind me somewhere
Re: After market shifter

Yes they exist.

The VERY FIRST "mod" I did to my 83, in about 85 or so, was to put a Hurst Comp Plus shifter in it, after about the 4th or 5th time I banged my knuckles on the A/C control head.

Hurst, B&M, and Pro 5.0 are the mfrs I am aware of that still make them for these old cars.

They are beyond "easy to install"; it's harder to change your oil, than to swap in one of those.

Worst thing about them is they often look COMPLETELY foreign in the car. They're chrome, copper-anodized aluminum, etc.; look IMO just bald-faced mismatched, like an alien spaceship was hovering over the car and a piece fell off and got stuck. When I did mine I used a black one and I made a bushing so I could screw the stock leather-wrapped **** back on top, instead of the cheeeeeeep looking little plastic POS that came with the shifter. Looked MUCH better, more like it was "installed" as opposed to merely "put in", compared most others that I've seen.