V6 Discussion and questions about the base carbureted or MPFI V6's and the rare SFI Turbo V6.

randomly runs bad UNTIL ses light comes on help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
randomly runs bad UNTIL ses light comes on help!!!

First of all, Im not new to this site. I know what a search button and google are for. I just cant figure out this stupid problem.

About once every 20 times I start my car it will run horribly. Low idle or may not idle at all, no power when driving. If I let it run a few minutes or drive a couple miles the rpms will jump up then the ses light comes on. When this happens the car starts running great. Other times ill be driving down the highway and the ses will pop on but the car continues running fine. The car is storing no codes so I dont even know where to start.

I also occasionally smell gas under the hood after shut off. But since the last time I smelled it I replaced alot of stuff including a ripped o-ring in the fuel rail. I havent driven enough to know if that solved that problem so im not sure if its relevant.

Car is a 91 3.1 camaro. Ive owned it about a year and it has always done this. Seems like it gets worse in cold weather. Ive replaced plugs, wires, cap, rotor, air filter, pcv, and o2 sensor. I did this because it all looked old and there was no o2 whatsoever when I bought it, not as an attempt to fix the issue at hand.

Any input is much appreciated
Old 04-25-2015, 09:49 AM

Received 215 Likes on 201 Posts
Car: check
Engine: check
Transmission: check
Re: randomly runs bad UNTIL ses light comes on help!!!

Sooner or later it should end up storing a code. Keep checking them. Can also use a scan tool to check the sensor values.

It may be that the ECM is bad. With the engine running at idle rap on the ECM case with your knuckles. See if that changes how the engine runs.

RBob.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: randomly runs bad UNTIL ses light comes on help!!!

Finally stored codes. MATS and EGR are bad. Car still runs great with ses light on but I wont be driving it until it is fixed.